1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick question on a limit

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    I was copying some old text and I came across a limit I didn't understand.

It starts as

[tex]\stackrel{Lim}{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sqrt{x^2+2-1}-x}{x}[/tex]

and then understandably continues until

[tex]\stackrel{Lim}{x\rightarrow0}\frac{x-1}{x*\sqrt{x^2+x-1}+x}=0[/tex]

Why would this be zero? x-1 goes to -1, x goes to zero and anything multiplied by zero is zero. And dividing with zero is a no no...

Sorry for the bad format I'm still trying to get a hang of latex.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

The second limit has no sense. The expression under the square root becomes negative when x--->0.

ehild

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    The second limit is derived from the first one. I know the second one makes no sense but its quite confidently written that it equals zero.

Is the zero perhaps a reference to the first limit? And there was a mistake or typo made during solving?

5. Jul 13, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

You must have made at least one transcription error.

Your first expression

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x^2+2-1}-x}{x}
    [/tex]

does not exist - the expression goes to infinity IF what you have beneath the square root is correct.

The second expression

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x-1}{x\,\sqrt{x^2 + x -1} +x}
    [/tex]

does not equal zero - it too goes to infinity (note that the denominator is

[tex]
    x \left(\sqrt{x^2+x-1} + 1\right)
    [/tex]

and this goes to zero as [itex] x [/itex] itself does. More importantly, this does not come from your first expression.

Please examine your original problem and repost.

I could attempt to "guess" different forms for the correct expression, but:
    - there is no guarentee would ever hit the correct one, even though I'm reasonably sure I would)
    - the weather is fantastic, my bicycle is ready to go, and there is a 55-mile ride mapped out that has my name on it. hoo-rah!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. Jul 13, 2010 #5
    Thanks for taking a look at this. I've found the same problem solved on some other notes I was doing and found the transcript error.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook