How Do I Correctly Simplify the Derivative of Arctan(2x-3)?

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying expressions involving the derivative of arctan and arcsin functions. The conversation highlights the importance of understanding properties of radicals and simplifying expressions. It also addresses common mistakes in simplification and provides examples of correct simplification.
vorcil

Homework Statement

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} [ arctan (2x-3) ] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The general solution for d/dx arctan(x) = [tex] \frac{du/dx}{1+x^2} [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac{du/dx}{1+(2x-3)^2} [/tex]

[tex] du/dx = 2 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{2}{1+(2x-3)^2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{2}{1+2x^2-12x+9} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{2}{10+2x^2-12x} [/tex]

now this is where my question comes in,

When I simplify it, I would divide all the terms in the numerator and denominator by 2,

giving me [tex] \frac{1}{5+x^2-6x} [/tex]

however I've been told that this simplification is wrong without any explanation

why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's wrong because (2x-3)^2=4*x^2-12x+9.

Dick said:
It's wrong because (2x-3)^2=4*x^2-12x+9.

Oh right, thanks

also

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} arcsin(2x-3) [/tex]

=

[tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-(2x-3)^2}} [/tex]

=

[tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-(4x^2-12x+9)}} [/tex]

but apparently that's wrong too!
?

it's supposed to be
[tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-(3-2x)^2}} [/tex]

but i don't understand why,

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx+arcsin(2x-3)

Those two expressions are exactly the same thing. (2x-3)^2=(3-2x)^2=4x^2-12x+9. Are you overtired?

Dick said:
Those two expressions are exactly the same thing. (2x-3)^2=(3-2x)^2=4x^2-12x+9. Are you overtired?

just one of those days,

Last one I promise,

[tex]d/dx arcsin(\frac{2x+3}{5}) [/tex]

I get from the equation, [tex] d/dx [ arcsin(x/a) ] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt{5^2-(2x+3)^2}} [/tex]

=

[tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt{25-9 - 4x^2 -12x}} [/tex]

=

[tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt{16-4x^2-12x}} [/tex]

simplifying it by dividing everything by 2

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{8-2x^2-12x}} [/tex]

however apparently I'm wrong again and could've simplified it further

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-3x+4}} [/tex]
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx+arcsin((2x+3)/5)

however I don't see how that's possible unless I have a 1/2 in the numerator

is there a property of the square root that I'm missing?

I really think you need a nap. Suppose I told you I'd simplified 2/sqrt(16) to 1/sqrt(8). Would you believe me? Are you sure you don't see what's wrong? You've got some other problems in there, but let's stick with that for now.

Dick said:
I really think you need a nap. Suppose I told you I'd simplified 2/sqrt(16) to 1/sqrt(8). Would you believe me? Are you sure you don't see what's wrong? You've got some other problems in there, but let's stick with that for now.

I wouldn't believe you because 1/sqrt(8) != 2/4

before I tried to simplify
was the result

[tex]
\frac{2}{\sqrt{16-4x^2-12x}}
[/tex]

not correct?
I thought I did that right. where would I go from here?

That's correct. I would pull a factor of 4 out of the expression in the radical, then sqrt(4)=2 that cancels the 2 in the denominator. But this is getting silly. sqrt(a*b)=sqrt(a)*sqrt(b), right? Not sqrt(a*b)=a*sqrt(b). You MUST know that. You don't just pull factors out through powers.

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is the process of finding the derivative of a function.

What is the purpose of differentiation?

The purpose of differentiation is to help us understand how a function is changing at a specific point. It allows us to find the slope of a curve, which can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function, while integration is the process of finding the antiderivative of a function. In other words, differentiation tells us how a function is changing at a specific point, while integration tells us the total change of a function over a given interval.

What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of complicated functions using simpler rules and properties.

How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation is used in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to solve real-world problems. For example, in physics, differentiation is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects. In economics, it is used to find the marginal cost and revenue of a product. In engineering, it is used to analyze the rate of change of electrical signals in circuits.