1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question on diode circuit

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2aj3zte.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    23lgpj9.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just want to know whether I have the right idea: so to determine the reverse saturation current (IS), I just determine it for each value of VD that was given? So finding IS for 0.6, 0.65, 0.7 etc?

The question seems to be divided into two parts, one that just asks for the reverse saturation current, and then to sketch a graph for points VD=0.6, 0.65 etc. But it's not as if we're already given an initial VD value to determine the reverse saturation current, so I'm guessing you just find it for the various values given?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

uart

Science Advisor

- Replace the voltage source and resistors with a Thevenins equivalent.
    - From the load line : Id = 6 - Vd (I in mA) you can find Vd.
    - Sub the now known values of Vd and Id into Id = Is e^(Vd/0.0375) to find Is.

Note: Id and Is both mA in that equation. And yes it's ok to leave out the "-1".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    Actually I already figured it out using nodal analysis, but thanks anyway. And I just tried using Thevenin's theorem, and it worked out too :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook