Quick question on find freq/amp

• Thread starter bjon-07
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using a Behr Free-Fall Apparatus to find g in a physics lab write up. The machine "zaps" a piece of paper every 1/60 of a second, but the person is unsure of the amp of current running through the machine. They also mention wanting to find the cyclic rate at which the electricity is alternating, but this may not necessarily be the same as the spark rate. The expert suggests checking the equipment specifications to verify the number of sparks per second.
bjon-07
Hi all, I am doing my physics lab write up. We used a Behr Free-Fall Apparatus to find g. The apparatus "zaped" a piece of paper ever 1/60 of second. What is the Amp of current running through the machine. thanks a ton.

Physics news on Phys.org
bjon-07 said:
Hi all, I am doing my physics lab write up. We used a Behr Free-Fall Apparatus to find g. The apparatus "zaped" a piece of paper ever 1/60 of second. What is the Amp of current running through the machine. thanks a ton.

Whether you are using "Amp" to mean "amplitude" or "amperes" (which I suspect would be the same thing here), neither depends on the frequency.

bjon-07 said:
What does it matter? You aren't interested in the composition of the metal in the stand either. Part of physics is knowing what is relevant and what is not - so if you are worrying about the current required to make the spark your teacher might infer that you are missing the point of the experiment. All you are interested in is the frequency of the spark and the distances between the spark burn marks on the tape.

AM

Sorry for the confusion but why I want to find is clylic rate at which the electricity is alternating. This in theory should well tell me how many times per second the deviced will zap the target. I know its not nessarcy to find g, but I would like to be very througll in my lab reprt.

bjon-07 said:
Sorry for the confusion but why I want to find is clylic rate at which the electricity is alternating. This in theory should well tell me how many times per second the deviced will zap the target. I know its not nessarcy to find g, but I would like to be very througll in my lab reprt.
The spark rate is not necessarily the same as the frequency of the alternating current. The spark is presumably caused by an induction coil with a switch making and breaking contact 60 times/second (like the ignition system on a car). Check the specification for the equipment to find out the number of sparks per second (to verify that it is 60).

AM

What is frequency and amplitude?

Frequency refers to the number of cycles or oscillations of a wave per unit of time. Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position.

How do I find the frequency and amplitude of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its wavelength. The amplitude of a wave can be measured by finding the distance between the equilibrium position and the highest point of the wave.

What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The frequency and wavelength of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between frequency and pitch?

Frequency is a physical characteristic of a sound wave, while pitch is a perception of how high or low a sound is. As the frequency of a sound wave increases, the pitch will also increase.

Why is understanding frequency and amplitude important in science?

Frequency and amplitude are key components in understanding and analyzing waves, which are present in many natural phenomena and technological applications. Having a grasp of these concepts can help scientists better understand and predict the behavior of various systems.