Calculating Moles of O in 4.5 Moles of P2O5 - Need Help!

• Thread starter Attraction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding moles and molarity and solving problems involving them. The first problem was about calculating the number of moles of oxygen in a given amount of P2O5, and the second problem involved finding the number of moles of carbon needed to react with a certain amount of hydrogen to form C3H8. The conversation also included tips on using ratios and relating moles to everyday concepts.
Attraction
Trying to get my head around moles and molarity. I ran into this problem.

How many moles of O are in 4.5 moles of P2O5? Having trouble figuring it out, can anyone help?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think I have figured it out...

22.5 moles?

New problem I am having difficulty with...

How many moles of C is needed to react with 5.0 moles of H to form C3H8?

Gonna need help with this one!

Try using ratios of the elements.

bucher said:
Try using ratios of the elements.

Thanks. I got 1.875. pretty easy. Just a bit tricky for a beginner.

It's ok. The only reason why it's easy for experts (I'm not necessarily one) is because they struggled with these problems until they picked it up.

You already know how to work with moles. Don't think of it as some abstract concept, but rather think of it in terms of something you can relate to. Just think of moles as something like a dozen. How many potatoes, eggs, or ears of corn are in a dozen? You know the answer to this. How many atoms of carbon, hydrogen, platinum are in a mole? It's all the same. If a recipe calls for 6 eggs for every 3 cups of flour, how many dozen eggs would you need for 9 cups of flour? It's the same idea with moles.

What is a mole?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains the same number of particles as there are atoms in 12 grams of pure carbon-12.

How is a mole different from a gram?

A mole and a gram are two different units of measurement. A mole represents the amount of a substance, while a gram represents the mass of a substance. One mole of a substance will always have the same number of particles, but the mass of that substance may vary.

What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number is a constant used in chemistry that represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. It is approximately equal to 6.02 x 10^23 particles per mole.

How is a mole used in chemical equations?

In chemical equations, a mole is used to represent the relative amounts of reactants and products. The coefficients in front of the chemical formulas represent the number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction.

Why is the mole important in chemistry?

The mole is important in chemistry because it allows scientists to accurately measure and compare the amount of different substances. It also helps with calculations and predicting the outcomes of chemical reactions.