1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question on Vector Notation

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    I have a quick question to ask you guys. In the first problem found http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee382/homework/382Homework4.pdf" [Broken], does the vertical line with the subscript x = 0 mean that the x-component of the vector is always 0? If so, then I could just remove the x-component from the vector so it would become [tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1} = \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{y}\beta + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{z}\gamma[/tex] right? I know this is a really simple question, but since I haven't seen this notation used in a while, I wanted to make sure I knew what it meant.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2
    no i dont think so .. it means that equation is equal to the one written when x=0 (at a point x=0) , you cant say that the x-component is zero! If that component for example equal a constant not including x ifself or any combination of other variables , does that necessary lead to a zero of the x-component? ..

Im not going to say im 100% sure, but that what I think .. I hope that other members reply and comment on that part ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook