Can Nonzero Perpendicular Vectors Be Added to Equal Zero? | Quick Question

• Thread starter Cursed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adding two nonzero perpendicular vectors together to result in a sum of zero. Cursed is unsure but inclined to say yes, and suggests that as long as the magnitudes and signs of the vectors are equivalent, they can cancel each other out. The conversation then prompts Cursed to think about the definition of perpendicular vectors and to draw a picture to better understand the concept. It is mentioned that the sum of two perpendicular vectors can be found using the "parallelogram law" or by constructing a rectangle, and it is asked if a rectangle with non-zero sides can have a diagonal of length 0. This leads to the suggestion of finding a proof for this concept using equations and visual aids.
Cursed
Can two nonzero perpendicular vectors be added together so their sum is zero?

I want to say yes, but I'm not sure. :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help. What are your thoughts, Cursed? Why are you inclined to say yes, and how do you think you could go about proving it? Have you studied orthonormal bases yet? What does the term perpendicular (or orthogonal) imply?

berkeman said:
Thread moved to Homework Help. What are your thoughts, Cursed? Why are you inclined to say yes, and how do you think you could go about proving it? Have you studied orthonormal bases yet? What does the term perpendicular (or orthogonal) imply?

No, I haven't studied orthonormal bases yet. That's probably why I don't understand it. :tongue:

I figured that one vector could cancel out the other provided that both their magnitudes are equivalent, and if one vector component is negative while the other one is positive.

Think about what the term perpendicular (orthogonal) means. One set of perpendicular vectors would be (0,1) and (1,0), for example. Or the two vectors could be rotated together to any angle in the x-y plane, but still in the perpendicular position. Write some equations that would define two orthogonal vectors...do you see anything special?

Have you considered drawing a picture? Draw two perpendicular vectors. There sum can be found using the "parallelogram law" which, in the case of perpendicular vectors is a "rectangle". Can you find a rectangle, with non-zero sides that has a diagonal of length 0?

1. How can I quickly solve a problem?

One way to quickly solve a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This can help you identify the root cause of the problem and find a solution more efficiently.

2. Can I ask a really easy question without feeling embarrassed?

Absolutely! There is no such thing as a silly question when it comes to learning and understanding something. It's always better to ask and learn than to stay confused.

3. How can I improve my critical thinking skills?

One way to improve your critical thinking skills is to practice regularly by asking questions, analyzing information, and considering different perspectives. You can also read and learn about different subjects to expand your knowledge and develop your critical thinking abilities.

4. How do I know if my answer to a quick question is correct?

The best way to ensure the accuracy of your answer is to verify and double-check the information from reliable sources. You can also ask for feedback from others or consult with experts in the field.

5. Is it important to ask questions as a scientist?

Yes, asking questions is a crucial part of the scientific process. Questioning helps scientists to explore new ideas, challenge existing theories, and make new discoveries. Without asking questions, scientific progress would be hindered.