1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question regarding vectors

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    If I have a vector defining numerous quantities of the same units, can I merely place the units outside of the vector, or is it required to have units on every entity within the vector?

For example,
    [tex](A, B, C)=(ae^{j\phi_1}, be^{j\phi_2}, ce^{j\phi_3}) H[/tex]
    or
    [tex](A, B, C)=(ae^{j\phi_1} H, be^{j\phi_2} H, ce^{j\phi_3} H)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

My two cents is for clarity place the units of measure inside. Its not a factor.

For example, a position vector r=<1.0m,2.0m,3.0m> is much clearer than <1.0,2.0,3.0> m as someone might think its some undefined constant.

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3
    Perfect. Since we are on the topic: in regards to notation, is there a difference between using (, [, or <?

5. Feb 6, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

I can't answer for mathematicians but ( ) are usually for expressions, <> for vectors and [ ] intervals.

But I did find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols

which may answer your questions.

6. Feb 6, 2013 #5
    You can place the unit outside of the delimiter - see, for example, http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec07.html section 7.7 (I believe the SP811 follows the ISO 31000 series in this respect)

7. Feb 6, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

Nice article, I would still question this for a vector although I did see a list of values in parens with the uom at the end as the preferred list method.

8. Feb 7, 2013 #7
    International vocabulary of metrology – Basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM)
    3rd edition

http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_200_2012.pdf

1 Quantities and units
    1.1 (1.1)
    quantity
    property of a phenomenon, body, or substance, where the property has a magnitude that can be expressed as a number and a reference
    NOTE 5 A quantity as defined here is a scalar. However, a vector or a tensor, the components of which are quantities, is also considered to be a quantity.

1.19 (1.18)
    quantity value
    value of a quantity
    value
    number and reference together expressing magnitude of a quantity
    NOTE 4 In the case of vector or tensor quantities, each component has a quantity value.
    EXAMPLE Force acting on a given particle, e.g. in Cartesian components (Fx; Fy; Fz) = (-31.5; 43.2; 17.0) N.

... if it's good enough for the BIPM and ISO, it's good enough for me. :smile:

9. Feb 7, 2013 #8

jedishrfu

Yup, that nails it. Good to know. Thanks.

Also they suggest using ; instead of ,

10. Feb 7, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Speaking for mathematicians, the real problem is that points are represented, in a Cartesian coordinate system, as (x, y, z), writing vectors as <a, b, c> is less confusing that using (a, b, c).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook