1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question ( y = mx + c )

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Quick Question ( y = mx + c )

Okay, this shouldn't take long. Would it be okay if I did not show any working as I want to know how one equation related to another, which will then aid me in trying to solve the actual question. [tex]T^2[/tex] is the y-axis and [tex]d^2[/tex] is along the x-axis.

The equation of the straight line I have drawn is...

I am asked to find a value for for K, and then to calculate a value for m.

m = the effecitve mass
    K = the constant for the system

Now I would have thought I would need to consturct a similtaneous equation, but I have a feeling that this equation can be linked to...

Would x and y in this equation relate to my axis? What would K be? If I put the intial equation in the form [tex]y=mx+c[/tex] will it work? If so here is how I would have thought it should look.

[tex]T^2=m\times d^2 + c[/tex]

Now I can put in the values I have for [tex]T^2[/tex] and [tex]d^2[/tex] so...

[tex]3.13=m\times 0.026 + c[/tex]

I am still not sure what c is....is it K?

Any help would be great. If this does not make sense please ask for anything that isn't there and I will go and find it :tongue:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    If you know T2 and d2, you can rewrite the first equation you wrote as:

K = T2 / (0.10d2 + 0.042m)

This equation has the form y = a / (b + x), not y = mx + b.

This assumes that K depends on m.
  4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    The problem is that I do not know the values for m or k, so I cannot calculate either of them from that.
  5. Feb 26, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can calculate K from the gradient. Your equation is [itex]T^2=(0.1K)d^2+0.042Km[/itex] which is, on letting y=T^2 and x=d^2 in the form [itex]y=nx+c[/itex] where n=0.1K and c=0.042Km. Now, what does n represent? Can you obtain this from the graph? If so, then you have K and can use your y intercept to find m.
  6. Feb 26, 2008 #5
    What is n? n isn't in any of my calculations? I know what y and x represent but I do not know what y stands for. m is the gradient...
  7. Feb 26, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I changed n to be the gradient when I wrote the equation y=nx+c. You've got two m's and so that's bound to be confusing. Anyway, the important point is that you have the equation in the form y=(gradient)x + (intercept). Compare this to [itex]T^2=(0.1K)d^2+0.042Km,[/itex] with y=T^2 and x=d^2. What is the gradient of your graph? What is the y-intercept?
  8. Feb 26, 2008 #7
    [tex]Gradient = \frac{T^2}{d^2}[/tex]

I calculated this at 3.3, I did this by drawing a triangle onto the graph to determine this value.
  9. Feb 26, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok good, but I think you mean gradient= delta(T^2)/delta(d^2). Now you have that the gradient=3.3=0.1K. From this you should be able to find K.
  10. Feb 26, 2008 #9
    Thanks for your time Cristo, much appreciated. :smile:
  11. Feb 26, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're welcome!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?