Calculating the Magnitude of Charge Q (in μC) for an Object

In summary, a 0.7 kg object and another object with equal but opposite charge are balanced at a distance of 132 cm, with a force of 6.86N between them. Using Coulomb's Law, this can be solved for the magnitude of the charge Q, which is 0.36443 μC. The correct method for solving this problem has been found.
sebmista
The weight of a 0.7 kg object of charge Q is just balanced by another object of equal but opposite charge fixed to a support 132 cm above it. What is the magnitude of the charge Q (in μC)? [Note that 1 μC=1x10-6C.]

Ok I know how to do this but it says I'm wrong... am I really wrong or is the computer wrong?

.7kg times gravity = 6.86N

The force between these two objects would be coulombs law.

F= Ke (QQ/r^2) set force = to 6.86 and solve for Q

It gave me .36443 micro C.

What do you guys get?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump.. please just give me some guidance, I don't mean to impose I am just in a crunch

1. It's not realistic to expect a response in less than a half hour.

2. You still posted this in the wrong forum. :frown: We have a forum specifically for homework questions. This thread is going to be moved there, so don't worry about it, just remember to use that forum in the future for questions like this, OK? :smile:

Last edited:
Anybody can help me solve this one. I was using the same method as post 1 but don't know if it is correct.
Thanks in advance

never mind found my own mistake and btw this is the correct way to solve this problem

1. How do I calculate the magnitude of charge Q for an object?

To calculate the magnitude of charge Q for an object, you will need to know the number of excess or deficient electrons on the object and the elementary charge, which is 1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs. The formula for calculating charge is Q = n x e, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, n is the number of electrons, and e is the elementary charge.

2. Can I use any unit of measurement for charge?

No, the standard unit of measurement for charge is Coulombs (C). Other commonly used units include microcoulombs (μC) and millcoulombs (mC).

3. How do I determine the number of excess or deficient electrons on an object?

The number of excess or deficient electrons on an object can be determined by measuring its net charge using a device called an electrometer. Alternatively, if the object is a conductor, you can use the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance of the object, and V is the potential difference.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative charge?

Positive charge refers to an excess of protons, while negative charge refers to an excess of electrons. Objects with opposite charges attract each other, while objects with the same charge repel each other.

5. How can I use the magnitude of charge to determine the strength of an electric field?

The magnitude of charge is one of the factors that determines the strength of an electric field. The formula for calculating electric field strength is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is a constant, Q is the magnitude of charge, and r is the distance between the charged object and the point at which the electric field is being measured.