1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    Pertaining to ultrasound physics, what is a "Beam Uniformity Coefficient"? How is it calculated? And why is it important? etc....

I need to write couple page paper on it and I can't seem to find any information about it anywhere...Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

For homework and coursework, you need to tell us what you already know about the subject matter. We do not do your homework for you, but we are very happy to help guide you to resources and other info to help you with your project.

Help us help you...
  4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    Well, I have searched all over for information on it and cannot find anything. The only thing I have is that it is a unitless number with value of 1 or greater that describes spread of beam in space. I have googled it, looked it up in an old physics book... everything... just can't seem to figure out any of the basics. I just need pointed in the right direction, I don't need answers. Like simple stuff, how is it even calculated... why is it used... If I have that information and some resources I should be able to write a bit on it. Thanks,
  5. Feb 12, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I googled it as well, and found very little. I wonder if it is a new and non-typical term? Thread moved to the more Advanced Physics forum, and I'll ping some Homework Help resources...
  6. Feb 12, 2007 #5
    Thank you I appreciate it. I have looked at the Beam Uniformity Ratio (BUR) (SP/SA Factor) to see if that was related.... I'm not seeing the connection. Any help is appreciated.
  7. Feb 12, 2007 #6

Are you studying physics of medecine or something else?
    It is clear that the importance may depend on the field of application.
    What is your aim with the uniform beam?

Anyway, in any field it is clear that the power profile of the beam is not totally indifferent.
    In medecine it is clear that sharp profiles will not have the same applications as soft profiles.

From a pure physics point of view a uniform beam will show up less diffraction than a sharp beam. If diffraction is to be minimized, for example to propagate with minimum losses over long distances, then the Gaussian shape will be the best. I know that from microwave optics, but it is exactly the same for ultrasounds.

So, if you ask yourself a bit more questions, you will find more answers ...
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?