Ultrasound Physics: Beam Uniformity Coefficient

In summary, the Beam Uniformity Coefficient is a unitless number that describes the spread of the beam in space. It is important for various reasons, one of which is that a sharp beam will diffract more than a Gaussian beam.
Fresh4Christ
Pertaining to ultrasound physics, what is a "Beam Uniformity Coefficient"? How is it calculated? And why is it important? etc...

I need to write couple page paper on it and I can't seem to find any information about it anywhere...Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For homework and coursework, you need to tell us what you already know about the subject matter. We do not do your homework for you, but we are very happy to help guide you to resources and other info to help you with your project.

Help us help you...

Well, I have searched all over for information on it and cannot find anything. The only thing I have is that it is a unitless number with value of 1 or greater that describes spread of beam in space. I have googled it, looked it up in an old physics book... everything... just can't seem to figure out any of the basics. I just need pointed in the right direction, I don't need answers. Like simple stuff, how is it even calculated... why is it used... If I have that information and some resources I should be able to write a bit on it. Thanks,

Yeah, I googled it as well, and found very little. I wonder if it is a new and non-typical term? Thread moved to the more Advanced Physics forum, and I'll ping some Homework Help resources...

Thank you I appreciate it. I have looked at the Beam Uniformity Ratio (BUR) (SP/SA Factor) to see if that was related... I'm not seeing the connection. Any help is appreciated.

Fresh4X,

Are you studying physics of medecine or something else?
It is clear that the importance may depend on the field of application.
What is your aim with the uniform beam?

Anyway, in any field it is clear that the power profile of the beam is not totally indifferent.
In http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/40/12/1331" it is clear that sharp profiles will not have the same applications as soft profiles.

From a pure physics point of view a uniform beam will show up less diffraction than a sharp beam. If diffraction is to be minimized, for example to propagate with minimum losses over long distances, then the Gaussian shape will be the best. I know that from microwave optics, but it is exactly the same for ultrasounds.

So, if you ask yourself a bit more questions, you will find more answers ...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Beam Uniformity Coefficient (BUC)?

The Beam Uniformity Coefficient (BUC) is a measure of the uniformity of the ultrasound beam as it travels through tissue. It is a dimensionless ratio that compares the maximum intensity of the beam to the average intensity. A BUC value of 1 indicates a perfectly uniform beam, while a value less than 1 indicates a non-uniform beam.

2. How is the BUC calculated?

The BUC is calculated by dividing the maximum intensity of the ultrasound beam by the average intensity. The maximum intensity is typically determined by the peak amplitude of the ultrasound wave, while the average intensity is calculated by taking the average of the intensity measurements at multiple points along the beam.

3. Why is BUC important in ultrasound imaging?

BUC is important in ultrasound imaging because it affects the quality and accuracy of the images produced. A non-uniform beam can result in uneven image brightness and distortion, making it difficult to accurately interpret the images. BUC also plays a role in the safety of ultrasound procedures, as a non-uniform beam can lead to areas of high intensity that may cause tissue damage.

4. How does the BUC change with depth in tissue?

The BUC typically decreases with depth in tissue due to the attenuation of the ultrasound beam as it travels through the tissue. This means that the beam becomes less uniform as it travels deeper into the tissue. Factors such as tissue composition and wave frequency can also affect the BUC at different depths.

5. How can the BUC be improved?

The BUC can be improved by using techniques such as focusing the ultrasound beam, using higher frequency waves, and using different transducer designs. These methods can help to reduce the effects of attenuation and produce a more uniform beam. Additionally, regular maintenance and calibration of ultrasound equipment can also help to ensure a more uniform beam and improve the BUC.