Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    was just watching this video(The joy of science) on thermodynamics, and the proffesor of the video said "hot objects dont always accelerate." this went against what i previously thought. tried googling it but couldnt find an answer. i dont know how to picture this. how?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    not sure if i put his statement out of context, but after he mentioned it he went to go on and explain work = acceleration x distance.

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

That is a strange quote, of course hot objects don't always accelerate. If they did then your stove would have to chase your pot in order to boil water. I don't know what they were trying to express.

By the way, work=force.distance not acceleration. If you push a box along the ground you do work, but if the friction force is equal to your pushing force there will be no acceleration despite all the work you do.

5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    ok thanks i just realized what a dumb question that was, because the heat can go at a constant flow. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?