What does the i^ and the j^ symbol mean?

In summary, the i^ and j^ symbols represent unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively. The question involves finding the work done by a force on a particle moving from A to D along different paths. This can be done by finding the dot product of the force and displacement vectors.
Draco
[SOLVED] Quick question..

What does the i^ and the j^ symbol mean?
A particle moves from A to D in the figure while experiencing force http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4294/renderet0.gif . View Figure How much work does the force do if the particle follows path (a) ABD,(b) ACD, and (c) AD?

I just want to know that before i start the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this sense, i and j refer to the unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively. So, the vector 6i+8j is identical to the vector (6,8) using "normal" notation.

thanks a lot! The question was a breeze after you explained that. Just had to find the dot product to find the work done.

1. What does the î symbol mean?

The î symbol, also known as the "i-hat" or "i-hat vector," represents the unit vector in the x-direction in a Cartesian coordinate system.

2. What does the ĵ symbol mean?

The ĵ symbol, also known as the "j-hat" or "j-hat vector," represents the unit vector in the y-direction in a Cartesian coordinate system.

3. How are the î and ĵ symbols used in physics?

In physics, the î and ĵ symbols are used to represent the x- and y-components of a vector, respectively. They are often used in equations involving motion and forces.

4. What is the difference between î and ĵ?

The main difference between î and ĵ is their direction. î represents the unit vector in the x-direction, while ĵ represents the unit vector in the y-direction.

5. Can the î and ĵ symbols be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the î and ĵ symbols can be extended to three-dimensional space by adding a third unit vector, k̂, which represents the unit vector in the z-direction. Together, these three unit vectors form the basis of a Cartesian coordinate system.