Quick Question: Write \frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x} in the Form 2x^p + 3x^q

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary: Can you please try writing 2\sqrt x/x in the form 2x^p? Can you please try writing 3/x in the form 3x^q?
_Mayday_
[SOLVED] Quick Question

Hey!

This question may tex ability :shy:

The Question
Write [tex]\frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x}[/tex] in the form [tex]2x^p + 3x^q[/tex] where p and q are constants.

Attempt :eek:

[tex]\frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x} \times x[/tex]

[tex]2x + 3x[/tex]

I basically multiplied the initial equation by x to get rid of the denominator, and now I have what looks like a close to correct answer, but without p and q, either p or q could be one but I think the fact that they have asked for p and q would suggest that they powers must be different.

Thanks to any helpers =]

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write [itex]2\sqrt x/x[/itex] in the form [itex]2x^p[/itex]?

Can you write [itex]3/x[/itex] in the form [itex]3x^q[/itex]?

Hint: don't multiply by x, this gives something different than what you started with (and are supposed to evaluate).

Heed Avodyne's advice! Say you were asked to reduce 64/8 and you decided to multiply by 8 to get rid of the denominator. You now have a different number. Don't confuse this with equations, where you can perform an operation to both sides (like division) and maintain the equality.

Avodyne said:
Can you write [itex]2\sqrt x/x[/itex] in the form [itex]2x^p[/itex]?

Can you write [itex]3/x[/itex] in the form [itex]3x^q[/itex]?

Hint: don't multiply by x, this gives something different than what you started with (and are supposed to evaluate).

[tex]x^{\frac{1}{2}}/x[/tex]

[tex]3x^{-1}[/tex]

I don't think I got the first bit correct...

Rashad9607 said:
Heed Avodyne's advice! Say you were asked to reduce 64/8 and you decided to multiply by 8 to get rid of the denominator. You now have a different number. Don't confuse this with equations, where you can perform an operation to both sides (like division) and maintain the equality.

Thanks

Basic algebra:
[tex]
\frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x} = \frac{2\sqrt{x}}{x} + \frac{3}{x} = 2 \frac{\sqrt{x}}{x} + 3 \frac{1}{x}
[/tex]

I have the 3 but now, but I am still struggling with the root x. Please try and explain how it works.

Thank you very much for your help so far though, my maths is actually quite good but I have these little cracks I need filling in...

Thanks again.

You are correct that [itex]\sqrt{3}= 3^{1/2}[/itex]. Now what about the 1/x? What do the "laws of exponents" tell you about [itex]x^m/x^n[/itex]?

Okay, I will take your post above as an example HallsofIvy? I tried looking for the root 3 but couldn't find it in my working! :rofl:

I will take it that my answer is right:

[tex]x^\frac{1}{2}/x[/tex]

which gives me...

[tex]x^\frac{1}{2} - x^{-1} = x^\frac {-1}{2}[/tex]

Thanks Halls, I hope I am right...

_Mayday_ said:
Okay, I will take your post above as an example HallsofIvy? I tried looking for the root 3 but couldn't find it in my working! :rofl:

I will take it that my answer is right:

[tex]x^\frac{1}{2}/x[/tex]

which gives me...

[tex]x^\frac{1}{2} - x^{-1} = x^\frac {-1}{2}[/tex]

Thanks Halls, I hope I am right...

Eh, your answer is right but oddly derived.

[tex]\frac{x^\frac{1}{2}}{x}=x^{\frac{1}{2}-1}=x^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex]

It was just a typo. He meant
[tex]x^{\frac{1}{2}}\times x^{-1}= x^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

I appreciate all of your help everyone, thankyou!

_Mayday_

1. How do I write \frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x} in the form 2x^p + 3x^q?

To write \frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x} in the form 2x^p + 3x^q, we first need to simplify the numerator by pulling out a common factor of 2. This gives us 2(\sqrt x+\frac{3}{2}). Then, we can rewrite the square root as x^\frac{1}{2}. Our expression now looks like 2x^\frac{1}{2}+3x^{-1}. Finally, we can rewrite the negative exponent as a positive exponent by flipping the fraction, giving us the final form of 2x^\frac{1}{2}+3x^\frac{-1}{1}.

2. Can we simplify 2x^\frac{1}{2}+3x^\frac{-1}{1} further?

Yes, we can simplify 3x^\frac{-1}{1} by using the rule x^\frac{-a}{b} = \frac{1}{x^\frac{a}{b}}. This gives us the simplified form of 2x^\frac{1}{2}+\frac{3}{x}.

3. How do I determine the values of p and q in the expression 2x^p + 3x^q?

To determine the values of p and q, we need to look at the exponents of each term in the simplified expression. In this case, the first term has an exponent of \frac{1}{2}, and the second term has an exponent of -1. Therefore, p = \frac{1}{2} and q = -1.

4. Can we rewrite the expression 2x^\frac{1}{2}+\frac{3}{x} in a different form?

Yes, we can rewrite this expression as 2\sqrt x + \frac{3}{x}. This is another valid form that is often used in math and science.

5. Can we use this form to solve equations involving \frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x}?

Yes, we can use this form to solve equations involving \frac{2\sqrt x+3}{x}. By rewriting the expression in the form 2x^p + 3x^q, we can more easily manipulate and solve equations involving this expression.