Quick question

• Thread starter chukie
  • Start date
k(x) is a continuous function. k(x)=-1 and k(4)=2 then is this statement true:

lim x->3- k(x) = lim x->3+ k(x)

i realli hv no idea. could sumone help me please?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What does continuous mean in terms of limits? k(x)=(-1) means the function is constant. k(4)=2 contradicts the previous statement. What's the real problem?

What does continuous mean in terms of limits? k(x)=(-1) means the function is constant. k(4)=2 contradicts the previous statement. What's the real problem?
sorry i typed the question wrong k(3)=-1

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
sorry i typed the question wrong k(3)=-1
S'ok. But the question is still odd, because the values of the function don't have anything to do with whether the two limits are equal. If a function is continuous at x=3, what can you say about it's left and right hand limits? Do you mean to say k(x) is only defined on the interval [3,4]? Or is it defined and continuous everywhere?

S'ok. But the question is still odd, because the values of the function don't have anything to do with whether the two limits are equal. If a function is continuous at x=3, what can you say about it's left and right hand limits? Do you mean to say k(x) is only defined on the interval [3,4]? Or is it defined and continuous everywhere?
k(x) is continuous for all real numbers

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Fine. Then the values of the function have nothing to do with the problem. What does being continuous tell you about limits?

umm im not exactly sure but the left hand limit should equal the right hand limit?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pretty much. And they both should equal the value of the function at x=3. Kind of a silly question then, yes?

yes lol but thank you so much for ur help. it helped cleared things up for me.