1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    k(x) is a continuous function. k(x)=-1 and k(4)=2 then is this statement true:

lim x->3- k(x) = lim x->3+ k(x)

i realli hv no idea. could sumone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does continuous mean in terms of limits? k(x)=(-1) means the function is constant. k(4)=2 contradicts the previous statement. What's the real problem?

4. May 27, 2008 #3
    sorry i typed the question wrong k(3)=-1

5. May 27, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

S'ok. But the question is still odd, because the values of the function don't have anything to do with whether the two limits are equal. If a function is continuous at x=3, what can you say about it's left and right hand limits? Do you mean to say k(x) is only defined on the interval [3,4]? Or is it defined and continuous everywhere?

6. May 27, 2008 #5
    k(x) is continuous for all real numbers

7. May 27, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fine. Then the values of the function have nothing to do with the problem. What does being continuous tell you about limits?

8. May 27, 2008 #7
    umm im not exactly sure but the left hand limit should equal the right hand limit?

9. May 27, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pretty much. And they both should equal the value of the function at x=3. Kind of a silly question then, yes?

10. May 27, 2008 #9
    yes lol but thank you so much for ur help. it helped cleared things up for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?