Testing the Continuity of k(x) at x=3: Is lim x->3- k(x) = lim x->3+ k(x) true?

• Thread starter chukie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, k(x) is a continuous function. Its left and right hand limits are undefined, but it is continuous for all real numbers.
chukie
k(x) is a continuous function. k(x)=-1 and k(4)=2 then is this statement true:

lim x->3- k(x) = lim x->3+ k(x)

i realli hv no idea. could sumone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does continuous mean in terms of limits? k(x)=(-1) means the function is constant. k(4)=2 contradicts the previous statement. What's the real problem?

Dick said:
What does continuous mean in terms of limits? k(x)=(-1) means the function is constant. k(4)=2 contradicts the previous statement. What's the real problem?

sorry i typed the question wrong k(3)=-1

chukie said:
sorry i typed the question wrong k(3)=-1

S'ok. But the question is still odd, because the values of the function don't have anything to do with whether the two limits are equal. If a function is continuous at x=3, what can you say about it's left and right hand limits? Do you mean to say k(x) is only defined on the interval [3,4]? Or is it defined and continuous everywhere?

Dick said:
S'ok. But the question is still odd, because the values of the function don't have anything to do with whether the two limits are equal. If a function is continuous at x=3, what can you say about it's left and right hand limits? Do you mean to say k(x) is only defined on the interval [3,4]? Or is it defined and continuous everywhere?

k(x) is continuous for all real numbers

Fine. Then the values of the function have nothing to do with the problem. What does being continuous tell you about limits?

umm I am not exactly sure but the left hand limit should equal the right hand limit?

Pretty much. And they both should equal the value of the function at x=3. Kind of a silly question then, yes?

yes lol but thank you so much for ur help. it helped cleared things up for me.

What is the definition of "Limits of k(x) at x=3"?

The limit of a function k(x) at x=3 refers to the value that the function approaches as the input value x gets closer and closer to 3. It does not necessarily mean that the function will have a value at x=3, but rather the behavior of the function as it approaches that point.

How is the limit of a function at x=3 calculated?

The limit of a function at x=3 is typically calculated by evaluating the function at values very close to 3, both from the left and right sides. If the values approach the same number, then that is the limit. However, if the values approach different numbers, then the limit does not exist.

What does it mean if the limit of a function at x=3 does not exist?

If the limit of a function at x=3 does not exist, it means that the function does not have a defined value at x=3. This could be due to a jump or discontinuity in the function, or the function approaching different values from the left and right sides of x=3.

Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions at specific points. They also help us solve complex problems by breaking them down into smaller parts and analyzing the behavior of the function at each point. Limits are also essential in calculus, as they are used to define derivatives and integrals.

Can the limit of a function at x=3 be different from the actual value of the function at x=3?

Yes, the limit of a function at x=3 can be different from the actual value of the function at x=3. This is because the limit only considers the behavior of the function as it approaches x=3, not the actual value at that point. The function may have a discontinuity or be undefined at x=3, but still have a well-defined limit at that point.