Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    Hello all,

are vectors time related ?

regards,

VE

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
  4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

This is a real pet peeve of mine. Why do people refuse to write a descriptive subject line? No, don't answer, I already know...it takes too much time, and your time is valuable. Unlike, apparently, ours.

To answer your question, vectors can be but don't have to be.

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4
    thanks but sorry... not the best of links ... can't go anywhere

help me on this one...

VE

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5
    thanks Vanadium ...( laughs inwards and thinks about ... "what about Vanadium , Vanadium...",

when they do, how does it happen ?

VE

7. Aug 29, 2008 #6
    ... and Vanadium... point well taken...

thanks,

VE

8. Aug 29, 2008 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean "time related"? Do you have a specific example in mind?

9. Aug 29, 2008 #8
    they do not have to be, but can be.
    for eg, phasors are vectors used to describe wave motion and these are time dependant while when a particle is not acted upon by any external force, its velocity vector is indepandant of time.

10. Aug 30, 2008 #9
    Hello to all,

First off, my apologies for the lack of substance in my query…

as a matter of fact, most if not all of my posts dated august 28-29th have the same qualities of being rushed, ill prepared and, in some regards, disrespectful of Physics Forum rules.

In the shape I was, I should have never logged-in in the first place…

Ok, now back to this particular one. What I’m after, is something to do about the nature of time, more specifically, its possible essential existence at the heart of all physical manifestations.

Of course some vectors are obviously time related, just take velocity as the basic example, but I think my mention of vector is more directed at the magnitude component of any vector…

The original thought that emerged was that magnitude itself MUST involve time in some way or another since the value/quantity/size is non zero. So the question then would be “is magnitude time related?”.

It’s more an intuition than anything else and I wanted to get your feedback while I’m also Googling around…

Regards,

VE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?