Is Magnitude Essentially Time Related in Physics?

• Thread starter ValenceE
  • Start date
In summary, Vanadium was questioning if magnitude (the value/quantity/size of a vector) is time related.
ValenceE
Hello all,

are vectors time related ?

regards,

VE

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(spatial )

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a real pet peeve of mine. Why do people refuse to write a descriptive subject line? No, don't answer, I already know...it takes too much time, and your time is valuable. Unlike, apparently, ours.

To answer your question, vectors can be but don't have to be.

thanks but sorry... not the best of links ... can't go anywhere

help me on this one...

VE

thanks Vanadium ...( laughs inwards and thinks about ... "what about Vanadium , Vanadium...",

when they do, how does it happen ?

VE

... and Vanadium... point well taken...

thanks,

VE

ValenceE said:
What do you mean "time related"? Do you have a specific example in mind?

ValenceE said:
Hello all,

regards,

VE

they do not have to be, but can be.
for eg, phasors are vectors used to describe wave motion and these are time dependant while when a particle is not acted upon by any external force, its velocity vector is indepandant of time.

Hello to all,

First off, my apologies for the lack of substance in my query…

as a matter of fact, most if not all of my posts dated august 28-29th have the same qualities of being rushed, ill prepared and, in some regards, disrespectful of Physics Forum rules.

In the shape I was, I should have never logged-in in the first place…

Ok, now back to this particular one. What I’m after, is something to do about the nature of time, more specifically, its possible essential existence at the heart of all physical manifestations.

Of course some vectors are obviously time related, just take velocity as the basic example, but I think my mention of vector is more directed at the magnitude component of any vector…

The original thought that emerged was that magnitude itself MUST involve time in some way or another since the value/quantity/size is non zero. So the question then would be “is magnitude time related?”.

It’s more an intuition than anything else and I wanted to get your feedback while I’m also Googling around…

Regards,

VE

What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent various physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

How are vectors related to time?

Vectors can be time-related in a few different ways. They can represent the change in a physical quantity over time, such as velocity or acceleration. They can also be used to analyze the trajectory of a moving object over time.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

Scalars are quantities that have only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. Vectors, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction. This means that two vectors with the same magnitude but different directions are considered different.

Can vectors be used to describe non-linear motion?

Yes, vectors can be used to describe both linear and non-linear motion. In linear motion, the magnitude and direction of the vector remain constant over time. In non-linear motion, the magnitude and direction of the vector may change over time.

How are vectors represented mathematically?

Vectors can be represented mathematically using coordinates or components. In two-dimensional space, they are typically represented using x and y coordinates. In three-dimensional space, they may also have a z coordinate. Vectors can also be represented using magnitude and direction, or using vector notation with angle brackets.