Exploring Infinity: Proportional Subsets in an Infinite Set

In summary, an infinite set is a set that has a subset that is proportional to the set itself. The sequence of numbers, whether expressed as (n+1) or not, is also infinite. This is because it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with a proper subset of itself. The set of natural numbers is an example of an infinite set, and it can be mapped bijectively to a proper subset of itself. Terms such as injection, surjection, bijection, and cardinality are important to understand in set theory when discussing infinite sets. The concept of a proportional relationship does not have a clearly defined meaning in this context.
Imparcticle
By definition, an infinite set is a set whose subset is proportional to the set which contains it.
The sequence of numbers whether it be expressed as (n+1) or not, is infinite. Then (I am veturing into grounds I know little of here...) I am guessing it is safe to say that the numbers (n+1< or = to 10 <0) or 1, 10 and 1 through 10 are subsets of the the infinite sequence of numbers. If that is true, then by the definition I stated in bold, it is also true that the numbers (n+1< or = to 10 <0) are proportional to the infinite set which contains the aforementioned numbers.
Okay, I am 99.9% sure I'm wrong here mainly because I have no knowledge of set theory besides what it is, and the definition of "infinite" according to a NOVA special. In addition, I may want to highlight that I am merely a freshman in high school so please don't make your explanations too complex for a student of geometry such as myself. I was just curious about this so I'm asking.

thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't *THE* definition of infinte. That is the definition of Dedekind infinite.

By " the sequence of numbers", what are you referring to? What sequence, what do sequences have to do with anything? Do you just mean the set of Natural numbers?

(n+1<=10<0) makes no sense. 10 is strictly less than 0. What do you mean?

What does proportional mean? In bijective correspondence? Then say so, I think you need to state things far more clearly.

A set is Dedekind infinite iff there exists a bijection from it to a *proper* subset. That is it can be put into 1-1 correspondence with a proper subset of itself.

N, the *set* of natural numbers is infinite with this definition since the map

n->n+1 is an bijection from N to N\{0}, ie the natural numbers and the natural numbers less zero.

sorry about the late reply...
That isn't *THE* definition of infinte. That is the definition of Dedekind infinite.
what's Dedekind infinite?

By " the sequence of numbers", what are you referring to? What sequence, what do sequences have to do with anything? Do you just mean the set of Natural numbers?

all real numbers. (for example, 1,2,3,4...)

what's bijective correspondence? I mean proportional like the relationship shown here: 1=1. I'm not too familiar with set theory, so I am unaware of what degree of clarity I should describe something. Please just ask questions and I'll answer and thus learn about how clear I should be.

That's all I have time for right now. I will see if I can continue tomorrow.

Imparcticle said:
sorry about the late reply...

what's Dedekind infinite?

Erm, a set is dedekind infinite if there is an injection from it to a proper subset of itself, just like i said, and just like you said. Properly, a set is infinite if it is not finite. It's easy to show this is the same as Dedekind infinite provided you use a certain technical axiom that some people feel is best avoided. (the axiom of choice, for completeness). obviously a set possessing an injection to a proper subset of itself is infinite, but it's harder to show that an infinite set must have such a map.

all real numbers. (for example, 1,2,3,4...)

That isn't the set of real numbers, it's the set of natural numbers.

what's bijective correspondence? I mean proportional like the relationship shown here: 1=1. I'm not too familiar with set theory, so I am unaware of what degree of clarity I should describe something. Please just ask questions and I'll answer and thus learn about how clear I should be.

You need to learn the meanings of the following terms:

injection (aka one to one)
surjection (aka onto)
bijection (one to one and onto)

as well as the idea of cardinality for (infinite) sets.

I'd suggest google and wolfram were your best bet since these are well known terms and there's no need to go into another explanation of them here.

proportinal relationship has no commonly understood definition as far as i know in this area.

1. What is the concept of exploring infinity?

The concept of exploring infinity refers to the study of infinite sets and their properties. It involves understanding the behavior and patterns of numbers and objects in an infinite set, which can be quite different from those in finite sets.

2. What are proportional subsets in an infinite set?

Proportional subsets in an infinite set are subsets that have a proportional relationship with the original set. This means that the size or quantity of the elements in the subset is a fraction or multiple of the size of the original set. For example, if an infinite set has an element of size 2, a proportional subset could have elements of size 1 or 4.

3. How do you explore infinity in mathematics?

In mathematics, exploring infinity involves using various concepts and techniques such as set theory, calculus, and number theory. It also involves the use of mathematical notation and symbols to represent infinite sets and their properties. Mathematicians also use logical reasoning and proofs to explore and understand the behavior of infinite sets.

4. What is the significance of exploring infinity?

Exploring infinity is essential in mathematics as it helps us to understand the nature of infinite sets and their behaviors. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. Additionally, studying infinity can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in mathematics.

5. Are there any real-life examples of exploring infinity?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of exploring infinity. One example is the study of fractals, which are infinite mathematical patterns found in nature. Another example is the use of infinity in calculus to calculate infinite sums and limits. Additionally, the concept of infinity is also used in computer programming to create infinite loops and sequences.