1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    Can I use either of these formulae to find the desity of an object?

a) ((Weightapparent/Forcebuoyant) + 1)(Densityfluid) = Densityobj

b) (Weightobject/Forcebuoyant *Densityfluid) = Densityobj

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2
    Archimedes law tells you the buoyance force is equal to the gravitational force on the displaced mass:

[tex]F_{buoyance}=g \rho_{fluid} V_{displaced}[/tex]

The apparent weight of the object can be found by evaluating the net downward force [itex]F_g-F_{buoyance}=g[m-\rho_{fluid} V_{displaced}][/itex] Where the term between brackets is the apparent weight.

With [itex]\rho[/itex] density, [itex]m[/itex] mass [itex]V[/itex] volume and g the gravitational acceleration. With this knowledge you can probably work out the answer yourself!
  4. Dec 7, 2004 #3
    I still can't figure it out :mad:
  5. Dec 7, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's to figure out than applying what Da-willem said??

You may wanna write:
    [tex] \rho_{body}-\rho_{fluid}=\frac{F_g-F_{buoyance}}{g V_{displaced}}[/tex]
    From the previous equation,the density of the body is immediate.
  6. Dec 7, 2004 #5
    ok, so my original two formulas are correct then, right?
  7. Dec 7, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,they are true.But why complicate with calculating buoyant forces,when u can simply say that:
    [tex] \rho_{object}=\frac{m_{object}}{V_{displaced}} [/tex]
    It's Archimede's law that states that,if the fluid is incompressible (Archimedes didn't think of compressible fluids),then the volume of the body is equal to the volume of the displaced fluid.Since u can easily determine one's body mass,the density is immediate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?