Solving Two Concurrent Vectors: Find G's Angle

In summary, the problem involves two vectors, F and G, acting concurrently on a particle at different angles and magnitudes. The resultant, R, is given and the angle of force G needs to be determined. The solution involves drawing a diagram and finding the point G to form a parallelogram. The angle of line OG can then be determined.
ccb056
how would i solve this?

"Two vectors, F and G, act concurrently and simultaneously on a particle. If F=20m at 30 degrees and the resultant, R, of the vectors is 50m at 45 degrees, the angle of force G is"?

thanks for making me feel stupid :D

Physics news on Phys.org
cough ?

this is the right forum, no?

You close your post with "thanks for making me feel stupid" and then are suprised no one wants to respond? Believe me, we are not responsible for how you feel!

"Two vectors, F and G, act concurrently and simultaneously on a particle. If F=20m at 30 degrees and the resultant, R, of the vectors is 50m at 45 degrees, the angle of force G is"?

Did you read "Read this before posting" before posting?

Since we don't want to make you feel stupid, we ask that you make some effort and show us what you have done- so that we will know that we are not just doing your homework for you and also so that we will have a better idea of what kind of help you need.

I know at least two very different methods of solving this. I DO NOT know which is appropriate for you.

im sorry for misleading you guys, i didnt really think you would make me feel stupid, but that was just my way of trying to "break the ice"

i don't really understand the problem, i can't make a picture of what they are expressing, if you could show me a pictue of the problem, i think ill be able to solve it

the reason I ask, is because I've got an exam over some general physics, and this is a example problem the teacher gave me, and i didnt know where to start

thanks

Draw an xy coordinate system.
Label the origin as O.
Mark a point F, so that:
- the line OF is at an angle of 30° WRT the x-axis.
- the distance OF is 20.
Mark another point R, so that
- the line OR is at an angle of 45° WRT the x-axis.
- the distance OR is 50.
BTW, it's convention to have angles counter-clockwise.

They want you to find the point G, so that OFRG is a parallelogram. They want to know the angle of the line OG WRT the x-axis.

OK?

thanks alot, very helpful

1. What is the concept of concurrent vectors?

Concurrent vectors are two or more vectors that share a common point of origin. This means that their tails are all connected at one point, while their directions and magnitudes may vary.

2. Why is it important to solve for the angle between concurrent vectors?

Solving for the angle between concurrent vectors is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the two vectors. It also allows us to determine the direction in which the vectors are acting and how much of their combined force is being applied in that direction.

3. How do I find the angle between two concurrent vectors?

To find the angle between two concurrent vectors, you can use the dot product formula (a · b = |a||b|cosθ) or the cross product formula (a x b = |a||b|sinθ), depending on the given information. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the angle θ.

4. What are some common applications of solving for concurrent vectors?

Solving for concurrent vectors is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. It helps in determining the magnitude and direction of forces acting on an object, as well as in calculating the resultant force of multiple vectors.

5. Are there any special cases when solving for the angle between two concurrent vectors?

Yes, there are special cases when solving for the angle between two concurrent vectors. One example is when the two vectors are parallel or anti-parallel, in which case the angle between them is 0 degrees or 180 degrees, respectively. Another case is when the two vectors are perpendicular, in which case the angle between them is 90 degrees.