Dissolving Rubber/Plastic/Wire Coatings - Advice Needed

• Thread starter Arsonade
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution that can dissolve rubber, plastic, and the coatings around wires, as well as strip wires. One suggestion is chlorosulfonic acid, but it is difficult to obtain and hazardous. Another product called strip-X, which is a phenol-based wire stripper, is also mentioned.
Arsonade
this question is kind of short and is sort of a threadwaste so sorry

but

is there any type of solution that might disolve rubber? plastic? somthing that might disolve the coatings around wires? somthing that might be used to strip wires, except it would disolve it.

thanks
Adam

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chlorosulfonic acid would work, but I doubt you would be able to buy it anywhere. It is also extremely nasty stuff.

I use a now defunct product called strip-X, which is a phenol (and methylene chloride) based enamel wire stripper.

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/PH/phenol.html

http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C1680.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I dissolve rubber, plastic, or wire coatings?

To dissolve rubber, plastic, or wire coatings, you will need to use a solvent that is compatible with the material. Some commonly used solvents include acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, and toluene. It is important to read the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions before using any solvent.

2. What is the best solvent for dissolving these coatings?

The best solvent for dissolving these coatings will depend on the specific type of material and the thickness of the coating. Acetone is a good all-purpose solvent, but it may not be strong enough for thicker coatings. Methyl ethyl ketone is stronger and can dissolve thicker coatings, but it may not be compatible with all materials. Toluene is another strong solvent, but it can be more hazardous to use.

3. How long does it take for the coating to dissolve?

The time it takes for the coating to dissolve will vary depending on the type and thickness of the coating, as well as the solvent used. It may take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the coating to fully dissolve. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and monitor the process closely.

4. Can I reuse the solvent after dissolving the coating?

In most cases, the solvent can be reused after dissolving the coating. However, it may become less effective over time as it absorbs the dissolved material. It is best to check the manufacturer's instructions and dispose of the solvent properly if necessary.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when dissolving these coatings?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when dissolving these coatings. This may include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and following the manufacturer's instructions for handling and disposing of the solvent. It is also important to avoid open flames or sparks as some solvents can be flammable.