1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    I am doing a assingment for my classical mechanics class that requires the proof of:
    The dot product of |A dot B| <= (less than or equeal to) |A| |B| .

I did the algebraic proof fine but we are required to do a geometic proof as well. This leaves me with the question what is the geometic view of the Dot Product?

At first I brushed it off thinking that it was a prjection of some sort, but I have no idea what |A||B|Cos(Angle) would be geometirally?

Thanks for the help
    Derek

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

|B|Cos(Angle) is the projection of B upon A.

Lat A and B be two vectors coming out from the origin. They have an angle of Φ between them.
    If you draw a line from the tip of B to the vector A such that the line is perdindicular to A, and intersects it at P, say, then |B|cosΦ is the distance |OP| which is the projection of B onto A.

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    I know that |B|Cos(angle) is the projection on A but what is |A|B|Cos(angle)???
    This is the question

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

|A||B|Cos(Φ) is simply the product of two scalars and is usually interpreted as two co-linear lines, |A| and |B|Cos(Φ).

Hmmm.

Can you do this ?

Let |A||B|Cos(Φ) be the product of two scalars, S1 and S2, where S1 = |A| and S2 = |B|cos(Φ).
    The product of any two scalars is an area: A1 = S1*S2.

So now sketch a little rectangle with sides labelled S1 and S2.

Then |A||B| is also the product of two scalars S1 and S3, where S1 = |A| and S3 = |B|.
    The product of these two scalars is A2 = S1*S3.

So now sketch another little rectangle with sides labelled S1 and S3.

Can you do something like this to (geometrically) show that A1 <= A2 ?

6. Sep 21, 2005 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

|A||B|cos ([itex] \Theta[/itex]) is a scaler and represents the magnitude of the vector, the direction is that of A,

7. Sep 21, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You want a "geometric" proof of |A dot B|<= |A||B| and you know that, geometrically, A dot B= |A||B|cos(&theta;)?

Okay how large or how small can cos(&theta;) be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?