Geometric Proof of Dot Product: |A dot B| ≤ |A||B|

In summary: The cosine of any angle can be between -1 and 1. So |A||B|cos(θ) could be anywhere between -1 and 1.
derekmohammed
I am doing a assingment for my classical mechanics class that requires the proof of:
The dot product of |A dot B| <= (less than or equeal to) |A| |B| .

I did the algebraic proof fine but we are required to do a geometic proof as well. This leaves me with the question what is the geometic view of the Dot Product?

At first I brushed it off thinking that it was a prjection of some sort, but I have no idea what |A||B|Cos(Angle) would be geometirally?

Thanks for the help
Derek

Physics news on Phys.org
derekmohammed said:

At first I brushed it off thinking that it was a prjection of some sort, but I have no idea what |A||B|Cos(Angle) would be geometirally?

Thanks for the help
Derek
|B|Cos(Angle) is the projection of B upon A.

Lat A and B be two vectors coming out from the origin. They have an angle of Φ between them.
If you draw a line from the tip of B to the vector A such that the line is perdindicular to A, and intersects it at P, say, then |B|cosΦ is the distance |OP| which is the projection of B onto A.

I know that |B|Cos(angle) is the projection on A but what is |A|B|Cos(angle)?
This is the question

|A||B|Cos(Φ) is simply the product of two scalars and is usually interpreted as two co-linear lines, |A| and |B|Cos(Φ).

Hmmm.

Can you do this ?

Let |A||B|Cos(Φ) be the product of two scalars, S1 and S2, where S1 = |A| and S2 = |B|cos(Φ).
The product of any two scalars is an area: A1 = S1*S2.

So now sketch a little rectangle with sides labelled S1 and S2.

Then |A||B| is also the product of two scalars S1 and S3, where S1 = |A| and S3 = |B|.
The product of these two scalars is A2 = S1*S3.

So now sketch another little rectangle with sides labelled S1 and S3.

Can you do something like this to (geometrically) show that A1 <= A2 ?

|A||B|cos ([itex] \Theta[/itex]) is a scaler and represents the magnitude of the vector, the direction is that of A,

You want a "geometric" proof of |A dot B|<= |A||B| and you know that, geometrically, A dot B= |A||B|cos(&theta;)?

Okay how large or how small can cos(&theta;) be?

What is the definition of dot product?

The dot product of two vectors, A and B, is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

How is the magnitude of a vector determined?

The magnitude of a vector, also known as its length or norm, is determined by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude of a vector A is given by ||A|| = √(A12 + A22 + ... + An2).

What is the significance of the absolute value in the geometric proof of dot product?

The absolute value in the geometric proof of dot product represents the magnitude of a vector. It ensures that the result of the dot product is always positive, regardless of the direction of the vectors. This is important because the dot product is used to determine the angle between two vectors, which is always a positive value.

Why is the dot product of two vectors always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes?

This is a fundamental property of the dot product. Geometrically, it can be understood as the projection of one vector onto the other, which can never be longer than the original vector. Algebraically, it can be proven using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that for any two vectors A and B, |A dot B| ≤ |A||B|.

How is the dot product used in physics and engineering?

The dot product is used in various applications in physics and engineering. Some common uses include calculating work done by a force, determining the angle between two vectors, finding the component of a vector in a certain direction, and solving problems involving displacement, velocity, and acceleration.