Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick question

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    Do cancelling rules work for vectors? For example, if you had
    [tex]A\vec{x} = B\vec{x}[/tex]
    could you cancel out the x's and be left with A = B? Is that legal?

edit: A and B are matrices. Does this make a difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's fill in some missing steps and then the answer to this question will become clearer.

[tex]A\vec{x}=B\vec{x}[/tex]
    [tex]A^{-1}A\vec{x}=A^{-1}B\vec{x}[/tex]
    [tex]I\vec{x}=I\vec{x}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{x}=\vec{x}[/tex]

Now let me ask you: What did I have to assume in order to write each line?

4. Oct 16, 2005 #3
    So the assumption was that the matrix A = the matrix B. So then we could take the inverse of each to form the identity matrix on each, and then it followed that Ix = Ix so x=x. So then if we assume that matrices are basically just equivalents of multi-column vectors, and we can cancel them out from both sides, then we should be able to do the same for vectors.

Is that right?

5. Oct 16, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right that I had to assume that [itex]A=B[/itex] in order to get [itex]A^{-1}B=I[/itex].

No, there's more to it than that. In the second line I had to assume that [itex]A[/itex] is invertible. And as you would have learned from class, nonsquare matrices are not invertible. So the matrices [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] can't just be any collection of column (or row) vectors.

Note that the case that [itex]A[/itex] is not invertible includes the case that [itex]A=0[/itex] (the zero matrix). In that case the equation [itex]A\vec{x}=B\vec{y}[/itex] is satisfied if [itex]\vec{y}=\vec{0}[/itex] (the zero vector) and [itex]B[/itex] is any matrix of appropriate dimensions. Note that [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is not necessarily equal to [itex]\vec{y}[/itex] in this case.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook