Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick questions on work and energy

1. Mar 9, 2007 #1
    Can work be done on a system if there is no motion?
    I would say no, no motion = no energy...

Is it possible for a system to have negative potential energy?
    I would say yes, since the choice of the zero of potential energy is arbitrary.

A 500-kg elevator is pulled upward with a constant force of 550N for a distance of 50 m. What is the work done by the 550N force?
    From what I understand, we multiply 550N by 50 m, and get about 3.00x 104 J.

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are pretty much correct.

4. Mar 9, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would agree with you on all three. But the first question is thought provoking. I wonder if we can think of a case where there is work done, but no motion. Certainly that is true in cases where there is no *net* motion, like spinning a wheel with friction bearings. But no motion at all....hmmm.

Chemical energy conversion...is that considered work? I don't think so, but maybe someone else can think of a creative case.

5. Mar 9, 2007 #4
    Thank you!

6. Mar 9, 2007 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't do mechanical work without motion, but there are other ways to increase the energy of a system - for example adding heat energy, or storing electrical charge in a capacitor. "Increasing the energy" is the same as "doing work".

Both correct.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook