1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick release fitting

1. Apr 3, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of a quick release fitting that can replace a screw thread? I'm thinking along the lines of a bayonet fitting but any other ideas would be great.

Looking to put pieces of wood sticking out perpendicularly from a wooden wall (railway sleepers) to act as supports for holding surf boards. The current plan is to have a screw thread coming out the end of the wood and a thread insert in the wall; but with 20+ of them and taking them in/out 5 times a week screwing them in would be time consuming.

Ideally I am looking for a solution where there is no external mounting on the wall when they are not in use.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about a quarter-turn screw?

4. Apr 3, 2015 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Apr 3, 2015 #4
    So, I'm kind of a fan of the ghetto rig.
    I like this hose quick release. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S25O/
    The female end would be mounted in the wall. The advantage is that both ends are threaded on the back side and can be easily mounted to wherever. It would also be a very rugged connection. The disadvantage of this is that you might need to design a custom lever for pushing down on the release; that could be as simple as a pocket knife.

One of these kits might also serve your purpose (something from the above "quarter-turn screw" idea):
    http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/hardware/fasteners/camloc/cessna-camloc-fastener-cowling-kits.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook