1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick rounding question

1. Dec 23, 2008 #1
    I'm doing a past exam paper and there's a question telling me to round to 4 digits. Does this mean rounding to 4 significant figures, 4 decimal places, or something else? Or is it ambiguous? (I really hope it isn't this one)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have said 4 sig figures but it is poorly worded

4. Dec 23, 2008 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

mg_phys is correct, unless the topic of the question demands the other interpretation. The specification for rounding "... to 4 digits" does not say anything about which direction or place value in relation to the decimal point; so the wording must mean "4 significant figures".

5. Dec 23, 2008 #4
    In the context of the module we are dealing with word lengths. So, in a fixed point number, zeros after the decimal point would count as digits? I think significant figures is probably the safest assumption when fixed point is not explicitly specified, unless someone tells me otherwise given this information.

6. Dec 23, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember the zero BEFORE the decimal point is not significant
    All these are 4 sig figures 1.234, 1.230, 0.1234, 0.1230

7. Dec 23, 2008 #6
    Right, but 0.01234 is 4 significant figures, and 0.0123 is the same as a fixed point number rounded to 4 digits?

8. Dec 23, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, think of it as 1.234 x10^-2

0.0123 is three sig figs = 1.23 x10^-2

9. Dec 23, 2008 #8
    This is where I'm unsure.. 1.23x10^-2 is a floating point number. Do I just assume a number has a floating point unless I'm told it's fixed, even when it's presented as a fixed point? This has to do with how numbers are stored on a computer rather than rounding off measurements.

I suppose my guess is as good as anybodys.

10. Dec 23, 2008 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Storing floating point number sin a computer is a little different.
    They are stored in exponent notation ( 0.1234 E-2 )
    But the fraction par tis of course stored as binary - so it is really the sum of 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 and so. Then there is an exponent stored as a regular binary number.
    This gives some odd results, numbers which fit into the powers of 2 can be stored exactly while other simple fractions like 1/10 can only be approximated.

If you are interested the normal way of storing floats is called IEEE 754

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?