Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick sequence question

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    [tex]\frac{n}{2^{n+2}}[/tex]

I know it's monotonic decreasing, a sub n < a sub n+1 and so has an upper bound of 1/8.

Can you then use L'Hopital's rule to determine that the sequence converges to 0, it's lower bound?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. I don't think you'll ever have to use L'hospital to solve a sequence question. In this case you're not allowed to differentiate, since the function is only defined on the integers.

If a sequence is monotonic decreasing, then it is sufficient to show it has a LOWER bound for it to converge.

4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

But [itex]\frac{n}{2^{n+2}}[/itex] has the same limit (as n-> infinity) as the continuous function [itex]\frac{x}{2^{x+2}}[/itex] (as x-> infinity). Certainly you can use L'Hopital to find the limit of the continuous function and then assert that as the limit of the sequence.

It is sufficient to show it has a lower bound (and 0 is an obvious lower bound) if you only want to prove that it does converge. That doesn't determine what it converges to.

5. Nov 23, 2004 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes ofcourse, but you'll have to state that explicitly and not differentiate numerator and denominator w.r.t. n immediately.

In general, L'hospitals rule is a source for obtaining many fraudulent proofs. I'm just not a fan of using L'Hospital :yuck:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook