1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick sequence question

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    [tex]\frac{n}{2^{n+2}}[/tex]

I know it's monotonic decreasing, a sub n < a sub n+1 and so has an upper bound of 1/8.

Can you then use L'Hopital's rule to determine that the sequence converges to 0, it's lower bound?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. I don't think you'll ever have to use L'hospital to solve a sequence question. In this case you're not allowed to differentiate, since the function is only defined on the integers.

If a sequence is monotonic decreasing, then it is sufficient to show it has a LOWER bound for it to converge.

4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But [itex]\frac{n}{2^{n+2}}[/itex] has the same limit (as n-> infinity) as the continuous function [itex]\frac{x}{2^{x+2}}[/itex] (as x-> infinity). Certainly you can use L'Hopital to find the limit of the continuous function and then assert that as the limit of the sequence.

It is sufficient to show it has a lower bound (and 0 is an obvious lower bound) if you only want to prove that it does converge. That doesn't determine what it converges to.

5. Nov 23, 2004 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes ofcourse, but you'll have to state that explicitly and not differentiate numerator and denominator w.r.t. n immediately.

In general, L'hospitals rule is a source for obtaining many fraudulent proofs. I'm just not a fan of using L'Hospital :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?