Solving the Mystery of exp(0)=1 in e^x Series

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the author is having trouble resolving an issue that they first learned about in calculus but they are not sure why. They are also having trouble understanding why exp(0) = 1. They are wondering if anyone has any different input.
Benny
Hi, I've run into a bit of a problem. I don't know why I didn't resolve this issue when I first learned about series but the following is bugging me.

[tex]
e^x = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{{x^k }}{{k!}}}
[/tex]

I also know that exp(0) = 1.

But if I plug x = 0 into the above series, the term corresponding to k = 0, involves 0^0 which isn't defined as far as I can recall so I don't know how exp(0) = 1 comes about from plugging x = 0 into the above series. This is something I should know by now but I can't see why at the moment. Any help would be good thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I read in a calculus textbook once, I think it might have been stewarts and it probably was since that what my calc 2 class used, but it said something along the lines of that when we work with series we take 0^0 to be equal to one.

I guess that would make sense. However, if anyone has some different input, please feel free to post it in this thread.

d_leet is correct, they are taking 0^0 to be defined as 1, it makes the notation a little simpler (it's not some kind of profound mathematical statement about 0^0).

Some authors will avoid having to define 0^0 by writing the series as

[tex]e^x = 1+\sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {\frac{{x^k }}{{k!}}} [/tex]

and likewise for all series. This is a rare approach in modern first calculus type texts (if it exists at all).

Since 0^0 is not defined (there is no general consensus), I like to regard the 0^0 terms in a series as just a notation for the number 1. The authors were lazy and instead of writing

[tex]1+\sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {\frac{{x^k }}{{k!}}} [/tex],

they just wrote

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{{x^k }}{{k!}}} [/tex]

as a notation for the above series.

Another way to look at it is that 0^0 is not defined in general because the limit:

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0, y \rightarrow 0} x^y[/tex]

does not exist. This just means that the result you get depends on how x and y approach 0. For example, if you hold x=0 and let y approach 0, you get terms like 0^0.1, 0^0.01, 0^0.001, ..., which are all 0, so the limit is 0. But if you hold y=0 and let x approach 0, you get terms like 0.1^0, 0.01^0, 0.001^0, ..., which are all 1, so the limit is 1.

That is why 0^0 as a symbol is not defined. But in your example, we clearly have the latter case above, where y=0 and x is approaching 0, and so we can safely say the limit is 1.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

1. What is the significance of exp(0) = 1 in the e^x series?

The value of exp(0) = 1 is significant because it is the base case of the e^x series, which is essential for understanding the behavior of exponential functions. It also serves as a starting point for calculating other values in the series.

2. How does exp(0) = 1 relate to the concept of the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted by ln(x), is the inverse function of the exponential function e^x. This means that ln(e^x) = x, and in particular, ln(e^0) = 0. Since exp(0) = 1, this shows that ln(1) = 0, which is a fundamental property of logarithms.

3. What is the mathematical proof for exp(0) = 1?

The proof for exp(0) = 1 involves using the Taylor series expansion of e^x and evaluating it at x = 0. This series is defined as 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ..., and when x = 0, all terms after 1 are equal to 0. Therefore, e^0 = 1.

4. Can exp(0) = 1 be generalized to other values?

Yes, the property that exp(0) = 1 can be extended to complex numbers. This means that for any complex number z, e^z = 1 when z = 0. This is known as the identity property of the exponential function and is an important concept in complex analysis.

5. How is exp(0) = 1 used in real-world applications?

The value of exp(0) = 1 is used in various fields of science and mathematics, including physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used in calculations involving population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. Additionally, it is a key component of many mathematical models and equations that describe natural phenomena.