Understanding Closed Forms of Series | Quick Explanation and Tips

• Thread starter iamaelephant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about closed forms of series and the person is asking for help understanding an example problem involving a sum with a variable at the top. They also ask for hints on finding closed forms and apologize for not being familiar with working with sums with variables. Another person explains the process of finding the closed form and suggests looking for proofs for the sum of the first "x" terms of k^n. The conversation ends with the original person thanking the other for the explanation.
iamaelephant
Hi, I'm just going through an example of closed forms of series in a textbook (Anton Calc) and I'm wondering how they got to this step, can someone please explain it to me? Also, any hints on formulating closed forms would be greatly appreciated, they are not covered in detail in my text. Thanks a lot!

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{k=o}^{3+n}{k^2} - 14
=\frac{(3+n)(4+n)(7+2n)}{6} - 14[/tex]

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never tried working with a sum with variable at the top, and I don't know what I'm doing.

Homework Equations

Given above

The Attempt at a Solution

None, this is an example problem I don't understand.

Edit - there should be brackets surrounding the sum that cut off the -14 as it's not part of the sum. I couldn't work this out in LaTeX and I'm in a hurry.

Physics news on Phys.org
iamaelephant said:
Hi, I'm just going through an example of closed forms of series in a textbook (Anton Calc) and I'm wondering how they got to this step, can someone please explain it to me? Also, any hints on formulating closed forms would be greatly appreciated, they are not covered in detail in my text. Thanks a lot!

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{k=o}^{3+n}{k^2} - 14
=\frac{(3+n)(4+n)(7+2n)}{6} - 14[/tex]

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never tried working with a sum with variable at the top, and I don't know what I'm doing.

Homework Equations

Given above

The Attempt at a Solution

None, this is an example problem I don't understand.

Edit - there should be brackets surrounding the sum that cut off the -14 as it's not part of the sum. I couldn't work this out in LaTeX and I'm in a hurry.

the first part is the sum of first x squares (in this case x = 3+n)
[tex]\sum_{k=o}^{x}{k^2} = \frac{x(x+1)(2x+1)}{6}[/tex] plug in x= 3+n then u get
[tex]\frac{(3+n)(4+n)(7+2n)}{6}[/tex]
of course u can prove these sums to the first "x" terms of k^n (in ur case it is k^2)..

Thanks a lot! Heh, always seems so simple when someone explains it :)

Is anyone able to give me some hints or links on how to find the closed form of any series? I'm really stuck here and my textbooks don't seem to cover it.

What is a "Quick series question"?

A "Quick series question" is a term used to describe a series of questions that are specifically designed to be quick and easy to answer. These questions are often used in surveys, assessments, and other types of data collection methods.

What makes a question "quick"?

A "quick" question is typically one that can be answered with a short response, such as a yes or no, a number, or a few words. These questions are designed to be efficient and require minimal time and effort from the respondent.

Why are "Quick series questions" useful?

"Quick series questions" are useful because they allow for a large amount of data to be collected in a short amount of time. They are also convenient for respondents as they do not require a lot of effort or thought to answer.

Are "Quick series questions" reliable?

The reliability of "Quick series questions" depends on how well they are designed and how they are used. If they are carefully crafted and used appropriately, they can provide reliable data. However, if they are poorly designed or used in a biased manner, the results may not be reliable.

How can I create effective "Quick series questions"?

To create effective "Quick series questions", it is important to keep them simple, clear, and concise. Use language that is easy to understand and avoid asking leading or biased questions. It can also be helpful to pilot test the questions with a small group before using them for data collection.