1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick series question

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm just going through an example of closed forms of series in a text book (Anton Calc) and I'm wondering how they got to this step, can someone please explain it to me? Also, any hints on formulating closed forms would be greatly appreciated, they are not covered in detail in my text. Thanks a lot!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\sum_{k=o}^{3+n}{k^2} - 14
    =\frac{(3+n)(4+n)(7+2n)}{6} - 14[/tex]

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never tried working with a sum with variable at the top, and I don't know what I'm doing.

2. Relevant equations
    Given above

3. The attempt at a solution
    None, this is an example problem I don't understand.

Edit - there should be brackets surrounding the sum that cut off the -14 as it's not part of the sum. I couldn't work this out in LaTeX and I'm in a hurry.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2
    the first part is the sum of first x squares (in this case x = 3+n)
    [tex]\sum_{k=o}^{x}{k^2} = \frac{x(x+1)(2x+1)}{6}[/tex] plug in x= 3+n then u get
    [tex]\frac{(3+n)(4+n)(7+2n)}{6}[/tex]
    of course u can prove these sums to the first "x" terms of k^n (in ur case it is k^2)..

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    Thanks a lot! Heh, always seems so simple when someone explains it :)

5. Oct 4, 2007 #4
    Is anyone able to give me some hints or links on how to find the closed form of any series? I'm really stuck here and my text books don't seem to cover it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?