Quick set builder notation question

In summary, there is a difference between the use of "or" and "U" in set builder notation, but the first and third expressions are equivalent in defining a set. Both symbols have their own specific context and are equally useful. There is no "correct" expression, as both are standard and necessary.
EProph
I've seen a lot of variety in the way different books/people use set builder notation. Is their any "standard"?

For example, I've seen:
{x | x < -2 or x > 2 }
And somtimes:
{x | x < -2 U x > 2 }
And also:
{x | x < -2 } U {x | x > 2}

Is anyone of these more "correct" than the others?
Thanks,
-EP

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's a clear difference between the first & the second...I don't like the third,i've neve seen it b4.

Daniel.

The first and third expressions are equivalent. The word "or" is a logic term, while the "U" is the set theoretic analog. The second expression doesn't look right to me. I believe it should have a "V", which is the logic symbol for "or".

There is a slight technical difference between the first and third expression, although they are equivalent. In the first expression the set in question is defined directly. In the third expression, it is the union of two smaller sets.

Thanks, this makes sense. I see the diffence now. 1 and 3 both result in the same set, but they build it in different ways.

-EP

Actually it depends how you define the word or, when said out loud it can mean what we use mathematically as XOR, so I would tend towards using the 3rd.

it is absic principle that the set of elements such that either A or B is true, is the union of the set such that A is true, with thes et such that B is true.
\
So the first and third expressions are both standard and necessary, and it is a trivial theorem, that they are the same set.

but the symbol V for or is a logical symbol, whiler the symbol U is a set theoretic symbol, hence are used in different contexts, and probably no one would advocate discarding one in favor of the other. they are both useful.

1. What is quick set builder notation?

Quick set builder notation is a concise way of representing sets in mathematics. It allows for sets to be defined by specifying the elements or properties that the elements must have in order to be included in the set.

2. How is quick set builder notation used?

Quick set builder notation is typically used to define sets in a clear and concise manner. It is especially useful when dealing with infinite sets or sets with a large number of elements.

3. What is the format of quick set builder notation?

The format of quick set builder notation is {x | P(x)}, where x represents the elements of the set and P(x) represents the properties or conditions that the elements must have in order to be included in the set. The vertical bar "|" means "such that."

4. How is quick set builder notation different from roster notation?

Roster notation lists all the elements of a set within curly braces, while quick set builder notation allows for the definition of sets without explicitly listing all the elements. Quick set builder notation is also more concise and can represent infinite sets.

5. Can quick set builder notation be used for any type of set?

Yes, quick set builder notation can be used for any type of set, including finite and infinite sets, as well as sets of numbers, letters, or any other type of elements.