Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick spelling question

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm editing a report my boss wrote about a job we are doing in Mexico. One of the workers is named Rafael (is that even spelled right)? We generally called him by the shortened version: is it Rafe or Rafa? I'm guessing Rafe, but I wasn't sure, hence....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I vote that you just use his full name rather than a nickname in a report. I didn't even know there was a short version of Rafael (or Raphael...that would be the English spelling, but you probably have it right for the Spanish spelling). Even if you're on a first name/nickname basis with someone, in technical/formal writing, you still should avoid using nicknames (and then you don't have to figure out how to spell them :biggrin:).

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3

russ_watters

That would be an easy way out, but it isn't my report, so I don't know if that'll work. I'll try.

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

Evo

I agree with Moonbear. I'm rather surprised your boss doesn't know this.

6. Oct 12, 2005 #5

russ_watters

I don't think it's quite that black and white. Some names more readily reduce to their nicnames than others. Take mine, for example: I rarely use "Russell" in anything but the most formal of communications. Edward/Ed is another good example. Jason/Jay is probably one you wouldn't reduce, but not being Spanish, I don't know how Rafael ranks in that. I'll probably take Moonbear's suggestion anyway, though.

honestrosewater, hmm - google gets more hits for Rafa, but one of the links there, about baby names, doesn't even list it!

7. Oct 12, 2005 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

Just call him Raf! :uhh: Although I think it must be Rafa.

8. Oct 12, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Eh, yeah, I'm getting mixed results. The news results were almost all for the same person. I wasn't really thinking. It's bugging me now, so I'm still looking. (Yes, I'm strange.)

9. Oct 12, 2005 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  10. Oct 12, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My name doesn't reduce to any sort of nickname. I used to hate that when I was a kid and everyone else had nicknames...I felt left out. But, as an adult, I like it...my name is my name, and there are no issues of anyone taking liberties in using a nickname I don't like. One of my friends was absolutely crazy about making sure her kids' names couldn't be turned into nicknames. She was adamant that whatever she named her kids were the names they should be called, so both kids have very short names...I can only imagine she must have had a bad nickname experience as a child. :uhh:

11. Oct 12, 2005 #10

russ_watters

What do you think about "Moonie"?

(too easy?)

12. Oct 13, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I meant my real name. I think it's hysterical that my nickname here has nicknames. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?