1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick static fluids question

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small sphere 0.75 times as dense as water is dropped from a height of 11 m above the surface of a smooth lake. Determine the maximum depth to which the sphere will sink. Neglect any energy transferred to the water during impact and sinking.

for clarity's sake, i'm letting v = volume, and v = velocity

2. Relevant equations

vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, Fb = pgv, K = 1/2mv^2, Work(non conservative) = change in mechanical energy

3. The attempt at a solution

the first thing i did was basic kinematics to get a velocity of 14.68 m/s upon hitting the water.
    next i set Fb equal to nonconservative work and i got pgv(d) = Kf -Ki...
    simplified down i got it to pvg(d) = 1/2mv^2
    = pvg(d) = 1/2pvv^2

at this point i cancled out the volumes and got a final equation of
    1000*9.8*(d) = .5*750*(14.68^2)

this got me a final answer of 8.25 meters which seems to be too large, and in fact it was wrong.
    can anyone find where i'm going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Gravity still acts on the object when it's under water.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3
    oh i see, but how do i take that into account? the buoyant force still is non conservative right?

5. Dec 8, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Yes, buoyant force is the only non-conservative force acting (in this simplified problem).

You want the super-duper easy way to solve this? Measured from the final position of the object (distance d under the water), what's the total mechanical energy of the object just before it's dropped? After it reaches the final position? So what must the non-conservative work equal?

6. Dec 8, 2007 #5
    or can i make an Fnet equation

like, mg - Fb = ma

p(ball)vg - p(water)vg = p(ball)*v*a

volumes cancle, so => 750(9.8) -1000(9.8) = 750*a
    this yielding an acceleration of 3.267 m/s^2

would that be a correct approach, or is what i just laid out above incorrect?

7. Dec 8, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Nothing wrong with that approach. Go for it.

8. Dec 8, 2007 #7
    ok so since theres potential at the top and nothing(?) at the end, can i say

p(water)vg(d) = p(ball)vgh

1000(d) = 750(11)

d = .12 meters????

i really appreciate the help

9. Dec 8, 2007 #8

Doc Al

That "h" has to be the total change in height, not just the height above the water surface.

10. Dec 8, 2007 #9
    ok that makes sense, but won't that leave me with two unknowns?

11. Dec 8, 2007 #10
    or can i make h = 11+d?

but when i did that i got a final d of 33 meters. this seems way too large to me

12. Dec 8, 2007 #11

Doc Al

Looks OK to me. Solve it the other way and compare.

13. Dec 8, 2007 #12
    i just don't understand how it can sink that far...

btw thanks for all the help, i really understand how to solve this type of question now, i appreciate it, thanks!

14. Dec 8, 2007 #13

Doc Al

That's because you have some common sense. :smile:
    The problem is the bogus assumption: "Neglect any energy transferred to the water during impact and sinking." That's a huge effect to ignore!

15. Dec 15, 2007 #14
    im still confused, my height above water was 12 instead of 11, and i tried what he did, with 1000(d)=750(12+d) because h=12+d..... i got my h to be 48 and d to be 36... i tried both those answers and neither worked. his was the correct answer and im pretty sure what i did is what he did... how did he get 33 for his final answer?

nvmmmm i used the wrong coefficients!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?