Odds of No October Birthdays in Group of 43

• Thread starter ccj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, we can calculate the odds of no one in a group of 43 people having an October birthday by using the probability formula. Assuming a non-leap year, the probability that a specific person does not have an October birthday is 334/365. The probability that none of the 43 people have an October birthday is (334/365)^43. To include leap years, we can calculate the probability using a four-year cycle and the formula (1337/1461)^43. The odds of no one having an October birthday is approximately 1 in 45.5.
ccj
What are the odds that no one in my group has an October birthday? There are 43 people in the group.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
October has 31 days and there are 365 days in a year (ignoring leap years) so the probability that a specific person does NOT have an october birthday is (365- 31)/365= 334/365. The probability that, of 43 people, NONE has an october birthday is [itex](334/365)^{43}[/itex]. The probabilty that at least one person of 43 has an october birthday is 1 minus that: \(\displaystyle 1- (335/365)^{43}\).

If you want to include leap years do that for four year cycles. In four years, there are 3(365)+ 366= 1461 days and there are 4(31)= 124 october days and so 1461- 124= 1337 non-october days. The probability that at least one person of 43 has an october birthday is [itex]1- (1337/1461)^{43}[/itex].

I really appreciate your complete answer. Thanks!

I am tryng to put the answer into a statement like " The odds of no one having an October birthday is 1 in XXX,XXXX,XXXX" When I do (attempt to do)the calc you have above, I get a .97799... number. Obviously stats was not a strenght of mine when I was in college (25 years ago) thanks and sorry for the additional qetion.

So what you have is one fraction that you want to turn into another:

The percentage you calculated (correctly), .97799, can also be written as a fraction: .97799 / 1. A way to add meaning to this fraction is to say "The odds of at least one person having an October birthday is .97799 in 1."

From what I understand, you want the opposite of this: the odds of someone NOT having a birthday in October. To do this, use the number you first calculated, .02200. A way to give meaning to this number is by saying "The odds that no one in my group has an October birthday is .022 in 1." If you wanted to convey the same statistic by saying "The odds... is 1 in X", we can do that easily by cross-multiplication of two fractions. We can set up a proportion: .022 / 1 = 1 / X. From this, we can arrive at the equation .022*x = 1. When we divide 1 by .022, we find that the answer for X is about 45.5.

So for the final answer we arrive at the statement: "The chances that no one in the group of 43 people has an October birthday is approximately 1 in 45.5"

Hope this helps, let me know if you need clarification.

Thanks for the explanation. Stats can be fun and frustrating - for me mostly frustrating :(

1. What are the odds of having no October birthdays in a group of 43 people?

The odds of having no October birthdays in a group of 43 people can be calculated using the formula for binomial distribution. Assuming a 30-day month, the probability of any individual having a birthday in October is 1/12. Therefore, the odds of no one having an October birthday in a group of 43 people would be (11/12)^43, which is approximately 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001 or 1 in 8.2 trillion.

2. Is it common to have no October birthdays in a group of 43 people?

No, it is not common to have no October birthdays in a group of 43 people. The probability of this occurrence is very low, as calculated in the previous answer. However, it is not impossible, as there is still a chance for it to happen.

3. How does the number of people in the group affect the odds of no October birthdays?

The number of people in the group has a significant impact on the odds of no October birthdays. This is because the probability of any individual having a birthday in October decreases as the group size increases. For example, in a group of 100 people, the odds of no October birthdays would be (11/12)^100, which is approximately 1 in 50 septillion.

4. What other factors can affect the odds of no October birthdays in a group?

Aside from the group size, other factors that can affect the odds of no October birthdays include the birth rate of October compared to other months and the distribution of birth dates within the group. If the group consists of mostly individuals born in October, the odds of no October birthdays would be significantly lower.

5. Can the odds of no October birthdays be applied to other months?

Yes, the same formula and principles can be applied to calculate the odds of no birthdays in any given month in a group of a certain size. The only difference would be the probability of an individual having a birthday in that specific month, which would vary based on the number of days in that month.