1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick strengths question

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    I'm supposed to find the deflection of a beam. It's steel with a brass shell, so they have different values for E. How do I do this problem using PL/AE.

Intuitively I think I should take the average, but I have no idea if that's right or not.

I should probably give some more information:
    the steel part is 1m x 1m and the shell is 1/4 m on all sides, so the total area of the beam is 1.5m x 1.5m. The force is applied evenly on the end of the beam.

I thought maybe I should just use PL/AE for the material with the higher E value - steel - but the brass shell would have to have some effect on the deflection.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the beam is subject to the axial load P, part of that load is carried by the steel, and the other part by the brass. Both the brass and steel must deflect together by the same amount. Does that give you a hint as to how to proceed?
  4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    Yeah, that helps. I'll give it a shot and you'll hear back from me if I still can't get the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?