1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Tension problem

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1
    I've been working on this problem and I got every part right except part F which asks for tension.

A sinusoidal wave is traveling on a string with speed 110 cm/s. The displacement of the particles of the string at x = 23 cm is found to vary with time according to the equation
    y = (4.9 cm) sin[1.5 - (7.2 s-1)t].
    The linear density of the string is 2.2 g/cm. What are (a) the frequency and (b) the wavelength of the wave? If the wave equation is of the form
    y(x,t) = ym sin(kx - (omega)t),
    what are (c)ym, (d)k, and (e)Omega? (f) What is the tension in the string?

a)f=1.15 Hz
    b)wavelength = 95.7cm
    c)Ym=4.9cm
    d)k=6.52 rad/m
    e)omega=7.2 rad/s

f) my answers so far were 0.00266 N and 0.0000266 N and both were wrong (they seem too low). I tried the equation V = Sqrt(T/u) where T is tension, and u is linear density but I must be making a mistake somewhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Check your units. Convert everything into standard units--meters, kilograms--before plugging into the equation.

4. Apr 17, 2006 #3
    Yeah, after I triple checked my units, I realized they were wrong again. Got the correct answer of 0.266 newtons. Thanks for the reply

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems to be just a problem of units. To get the speed in m/s, you must put T in Newtons and u in kg/m. Notice that u = .22 kg/m (my guess is that you left u in g/m instead of kg/m)
    Try this and you will get a much larger tension than what you wrote above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?