Quick Thermal Dynamics Question

In summary, the conversation discussed a forgotten quiz where the speaker bombed a question about a brass rod used as a pendulum in a grandfather clock. They originally used the formula for thermal expansion, but realized they needed to use the formula for the period of a simple pendulum to find the length of the rod. The speaker eventually figures it out and thanks the other person for their help.
benji
So we had a "quick quiz" a while back and I forgot about it and completely bombed it. I understand everything I did wrong now except for one part... Here's the question:

A brass rod (thermal expansion coefficient of 18.5*10^-6 (deg. celsius)) is used as a pendulum in a grandfather clock. The clock keeps perfect time at 20 (deg. celsius).

What is the length of the rod? (hint: how much time does it take the pendulum of a grandfather clock to go tick-tock?)

Originally I just used:

(change in length)=(coefficient of liner expansion)(original length)(change in temperature)

* sorry I don't know all the fancy code you guys use to make everything look all pretty ;) *

...that wasn't taking into account the time it takes to go "tick-tock" and I'm pretty sure it was the wrong equation.

So how should I go about this and why?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
period of a pendulum

You need to use the formula for the period of a simple pendulum:
[tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{L/g}[/tex]

Okay, nevermind I figured it out. You were right ;). Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is Quick Thermal Dynamics?

Quick Thermal Dynamics is a branch of thermodynamics that deals with the study of heat and its transfer in systems that undergo rapid changes. It focuses on the behavior of materials and substances when subjected to sudden temperature changes or thermal shocks.

2. What are the key principles of Quick Thermal Dynamics?

The key principles of Quick Thermal Dynamics include the laws of thermodynamics, heat transfer mechanisms (conduction, convection, and radiation), and the properties of materials such as thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity.

3. How is Quick Thermal Dynamics used in real-world applications?

Quick Thermal Dynamics has various practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of heat exchangers, engines, and other thermal systems. It is also essential in industries that involve rapid temperature changes, such as metallurgy, aerospace, and chemical processing.

4. What are some challenges in studying Quick Thermal Dynamics?

One of the main challenges in studying Quick Thermal Dynamics is the complexity of the systems involved. The behavior of materials and substances can vary significantly under different conditions, making it challenging to predict their response to rapid thermal changes accurately. Additionally, experimental measurements can be challenging to obtain in high-speed processes.

5. How does Quick Thermal Dynamics relate to other branches of thermodynamics?

Quick Thermal Dynamics is closely related to other branches of thermodynamics, such as classical thermodynamics and statistical thermodynamics. It builds upon the fundamental principles of these fields and applies them to systems that undergo rapid thermal changes. Additionally, Quick Thermal Dynamics also has connections to other disciplines, such as fluid mechanics and materials science.