Understanding Joule Expansion and Its Implications on (dT/dV) const U = 0

• Thread starter bon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the joule expansion experiment can be explained using the first law of thermodynamics. At constant internal energy, the change in temperature with respect to volume is equal to zero. This can be shown by assuming that internal energy is a function of temperature for an ideal gas. By combining this with the equation of state, PV = k(T), it can be derived that the equation of state for an ideal gas is pV = RT, where R is a constant of proportionality.
bon

Homework Statement

\"Explain why the joule expansion experiment implies that (dT/dV) const U = 0\"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I\'m not sure how to do this!

Using 1st law we can say that at const U Tds = pdV, but not sure how to get what they want..

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so i guess you can just say that U = U(T) for an ideal gas...then the result follows.

The next part asks me to show that that equation i.e. (dT/dV) const U = 0 and the equation PV = k(T) --i.e. pV = some function of T, together imply the equation of state is pV = RT where R is some constant of proportionality..

How is this meant to work? Thanks.

Q: What is a quick thermal question?

A: A quick thermal question is typically a question related to temperature, heat, and other thermal properties.

Q: How does heat transfer work?

A: Heat transfer can occur through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

Q: What is the difference between heat and temperature?

A: Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Heat refers to the transfer of thermal energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance.

Q: How does insulation affect thermal energy?

A: Insulation works by reducing the rate of heat transfer. It is often used to keep heat from escaping a building or to keep cold air from entering. Different materials have different levels of insulation, with materials like wool and fiberglass being more effective at reducing heat transfer.

Q: What is thermal equilibrium?

A: Thermal equilibrium occurs when there is no net flow of heat between two objects that are in contact with each other. This means that both objects have reached the same temperature and there is no more transfer of thermal energy between them.