1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick topology question

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    All right, so this appeared on my final. The intervals are in the reals:

If f : [a, b] -> [c, d] , and the graph of f is closed, is f continuous?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, my gut reaction is no, just because it seems like a fairly strong claim, but I couldn't really come up with a decent counterexample. On the other hand, I can see that the graph has to be compact. And I think that would imply that f([a, b]) has to be compact (if it wasn't you could just take any open cover of [a, b] and an open cover of f([a, b]) that doesn't have a finite subcover, then the Cartesian product would be an open cover without finite subcover, I think). But I'm not sure where I can go from there or if that's even useful information.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the sequence x_i->x in [a,b] then the sequence f(x_i) has cluster points in [c,d] because [c,d] is compact. Suppose it has two unequal ones y1 and y2. Then since the graph is closed y1 and y2 are both on the graph. Is this compatible with f being a single valued function?

4. Dec 19, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But what guarentees that the limit of f(x_i) is f(x)?

5. Dec 19, 2007 #4
    Bolzano-Weierstrass

6. Dec 19, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x_i) has a limit y, then (x,y) is on the graph since the graph is closed. The graph is the set of all points (x,f(x)).

7. Dec 19, 2007 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's true. That was a good little problem!

8. Dec 19, 2007 #7

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about the converse: if f:[a,b]->[c,d] is continuous, then is its graph closed?

9. Dec 19, 2007 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That one's easy. If (x_i, f(x_i)) is a converging sequence in the graph, then it means x_i -->x, for some x in [a,b], and by continuity, f(x_i)-->f(x). Since (x,f(x)) is in the graph, it's closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?