1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Trig. Question

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working through a calc 2 problem. I managed to get here without really completely understanding trig. There was a point in the problem where θ=Tan-1(-2/2) = -Pi/4. How does this work?

2. Relevant equations
    I do not know any relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no clue. I have done research countless times.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For purposes of the Inverse Tangent, the Tangent function is restricted to the angle values from negative pi/2 to positive pi/2. A tangent of (-2/2) is the same as the tangent of (-1), and just relating this to the unit circle, this ange is -π/4.

4. Nov 8, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would advise you to spend some time reviewing basic trigonometry, especially in relation to the trig functions and their inverses. If you are trying to work through integrals without a solid understanding of trig, you will really have a hard time, particularly when it comes to trig substitutions.

Some time invested in reviewing your old precalc book would really pay off. Alternatively, there are many helpful videos about a variety of topics in math at khanacademy.org. A good place to start would be http://www.khanacademy.org/#trigonometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook