1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick vector space question

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether this set equipped with the given operations is a vector space. For those that are not vector spaces identify the axiom that fails.

Set = V = all pairs of real real numbers of the form (x,y) where x>=0, with the standard operations on R^2.

3. The attempt at a solution

This set is not a vector space because it is not closed under scalar multiplication I.e. -1*(1,1)=(-1,-1) which is not in V as x<0 and because there is not always a vector in V such that u+(-u)=(-u)+u=0 I.e. when u=(1,1) then -u=(-1,-1) which is not in V as again x<0.

My question is why does axiom 8 hold which states:

(K+m)u=ku+km

I.e. if k=-1, m=-1, u=(1,1) ----> (-1+-1)u=(-1,-1)+(-1,-1)=(-2,-2) which is not in V as x<0.

Does axiom 8 not require the solution to be in the set V?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You showed that the space is not closed under scalar multiplication, so it's not a vector space. But also, since it's not closed under scalar multiplication, all the axioms which use scalar multiplication make no sense. It makes no sense to asl ##(\alpha + \beta) v = \alpha v + \beta v##, since scalar multiplication is not well-defined.

so I wouldn't say that Axiom 8 holds in this case. I would rather say that it makes no sense.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    Oh I see, but it could be the case that a set is closed under scalar multiplication but one of the axioms that depend on that, such as axiom 8, do not hold. Just not vice versa.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted