Quick way to solve this system of two equations?

• Thread starter azure kitsune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, in physics class, the teacher reduced a physics problem to solving a system of two equations in the form of ax+by=c and ax2+by2=c, where a, b, and c are constants. The teacher then solved for x and y by substituting the solution for x from the first equation into the second equation, resulting in a quadratic in y, which was solved using the quadratic formula. There is no easier shortcut to solving for x and y in this situation.
azure kitsune
Hey everyone, today in physics class, my teacher reduced a physics problem to solving a system of two equations in this form:

ax+by=c
ax2+by2=c

Where a, b, and c are constants. Then my teacher solved for x and y by solving for x in the first equation, plugging that into the second equation, resulting a very intimidating quadratic in y, and solving for y using the quadratic formula.

I was wondering if there was an easier way to solve for x and y in this situation. I have a feeling there would be some kind of a shortcut because of the similarities in the two equations.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, I think solving for either x or y in the first equation and then putting the result into the second is the simplest way to solve those equations.

What is a system of two equations?

A system of two equations is a set of two equations that contains two or more variables. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy both equations simultaneously.

What is a quick way to solve a system of two equations?

One quick way to solve a system of two equations is by using the substitution method. This involves solving one equation for one variable and substituting that expression into the other equation. Then, the resulting equation can be solved for the remaining variable.

Can you give an example of solving a system of two equations using the substitution method?

Sure! Let's say we have the system of equations:
2x + 3y = 10
x - y = 3
We can solve the second equation for x by adding y to both sides, giving us x = y + 3. We can then substitute this expression into the first equation, resulting in:
2(y + 3) + 3y = 10
Simplifying, we get 5y + 6 = 10. Solving for y, we get y = 4. Substituting this value back into x = y + 3, we get x = 7. Therefore, the solution to this system is x = 7, y = 4.

Are there other methods for solving a system of two equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as the elimination method and graphing method. The elimination method involves adding or subtracting the two equations to eliminate one of the variables, and then solving for the remaining variable. The graphing method involves graphing the two equations on the same coordinate plane and finding the point of intersection, which represents the solution to the system.

What should I do if I encounter a system of two equations that cannot be solved using quick methods?

If the system is too complex to be solved using quick methods, you can use advanced techniques such as matrices or software programs to solve the system. Alternatively, you can also seek help from a math tutor or consult online resources for step-by-step solutions.