Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing QuickCam Astrophotography

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Inspired by An Adventure in Quickcam Astronomy, I've started using my 60mm refractor and a quickcam for astrophotography. Attached is one of my first pics (downsampled from 640x480 - I'll have to put up a website). I used a 15 second video clip combined into one photo and processed with RegiStax.

I have some new hardware coming for my scope, and my next targets will be the sun, Saturn, and the Orion Nebula.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2004 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

4. Nov 6, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Next up....Saturn! I was a little disappointed with the raw images, but the processing helped a lot.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 6, 2004 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Russ, did you see the Saturn image on ghgcorp? It was fantastic for a mere 8" Celestron. They have a link to a great digitizing program I think you would like.

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5

russ_watters

No, I don't see it. I'm going to need to spend some time surfing that site and the links - it looks great.

Anyway - it only took 46 hours from when I took those first pictures of Saturn that I realized I just had to have a new telescope. It really is a disease... So I ordered one of THESE: A 114mm Newtonian reflector with full go-to capability for $380. Not bad at all. I may need to pull an all-nighter this weekend to see Jupiter...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?