1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing QuickCam Astrophotography

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Inspired by An Adventure in Quickcam Astronomy, I've started using my 60mm refractor and a quickcam for astrophotography. Attached is one of my first pics (downsampled from 640x480 - I'll have to put up a website). I used a 15 second video clip combined into one photo and processed with RegiStax.

I have some new hardware coming for my scope, and my next targets will be the sun, Saturn, and the Orion Nebula.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2004 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Nov 6, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Next up....Saturn! I was a little disappointed with the raw images, but the processing helped a lot.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 6, 2004 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ, did you see the Saturn image on ghgcorp? It was fantastic for a mere 8" Celestron. They have a link to a great digitizing program I think you would like.

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5

russ_watters

No, I don't see it. I'm going to need to spend some time surfing that site and the links - it looks great.

Anyway - it only took 46 hours from when I took those first pictures of Saturn that I realized I just had to have a new telescope. It really is a disease... So I ordered one of THESE: A 114mm Newtonian reflector with full go-to capability for $380. Not bad at all. I may need to pull an all-nighter this weekend to see Jupiter...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?