1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quickie! I think I got it, but I need some help!

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    i have a small question...okay heres the problem:
    A stunt car is driven along a flat train car. The stunt car is moving toward the engine of the trani. how would you calculate the velocity of the stunt car relative to Earth?
    I put. . .'You would find the velocity of the ____ then the velocity of the stunt car. Then subtract using V2-V1...' Do i find the velocity of the train? And if it is the train, then is that V2?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I understand you correctly: the stunt automobile is on a flat-bed car which is part of a train? And the automobile is moving toward the engine?

If that is the case, then the velocity of the train (w/respect to the earth) and the velocity of the automobile (w/respect to the train) is added together to get the velocity of the car with respect to earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?