Is Thermal Energy Equal to Work Done by Battery in Electric Circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the work done by a battery when connected to a capacitor and resistor in a circuit. There is disagreement on whether the work done by the battery includes the heat lost in the circuit and the electrical energy stored in the capacitor. It is also noted that the definition of "battery" may differ, with some including its internal resistance and others not. Ultimately, it is concluded that for a non-ideal battery, the heat developed in the resistor and battery will be equal to the work done by the battery, but for an ideal battery with no resistance, there will be no heat developed in the battery.
cupid.callin

Homework Statement

<pic>

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Ummm ... well ...no idea :tongue2:

2) I guess no. Because if a capacitor is connected with battery, work done by batery is QE (EMF) but thermal energy is just QE/2. Rest QE/2energy is stored in capacitor.

3) Same as (2)

4) i = E/(R+r)
--- r is internal resistance of battery
--- R is external resistance.
--- E is EMF
Work done by battery = QV = Q(E - ir) where r is internal resistance of battery
Thermal energy across in resistor = i2Rt = E2RT/(R+r)2

Now i don't know what to do.
But i still guess that for non-ideal its no and for ideal its yes ... don't know why

5) Well i thought of some explanation before i started typing but now i can't remember it :biggrin:

6) Yes, only for non ideal battery. At time of charging, V = E + ir

Attachments

• Ques.jpg
    Ques.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
In #1, the U = i*V*t formula does not tell the story of current dependence because the V across the resistor depends on current, V = i*R

I disagree with your answer for #2, especially when the resistor is connected. The work is converted to heat but we still say the work is "done" by the battery.

In #3 I would argue that the work done by the battery includes both heat lost in the circuit and electrical energy stored in the capacitor. Could be wrong, though.

#4 could be a matter of definition. To me, "the battery" includes its internal resistance. The work done by the battery is the i*V*t for the current coming out of the combination. I would answer YES to the first part and no change for the ideal battery.

No idea on #5! Good thinking on #6 - I missed it.

I think #5 is technically incorrect. Its same like using E.M.F. when we know that there is no such 'force'.
Heat is developed in a circuit (or resistor) due to the collision of moving electrons with the ions of the conductor and not due to the difference in temperature across the resistor.

Most welcome! We worked really well together.

Thank you guys for help!

But for #3, wouldn't energy stored in capacitor + heat developed be equal to work done by battery.

for#4, heat will also be developed in battery if its non-ideal due to its resistance, so shouldn't the heat developed in the resistor + battery be equal to battery's work?
and for ideal one, due to no resistance, no heat will develop in battery,,,,

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a medium, usually a conductor such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I.

What are the factors that affect the flow of electric current?

The flow of electric current is affected by three factors: voltage, resistance, and capacitance. Voltage is the potential difference that drives the flow of charge, resistance is the opposition to the flow of charge, and capacitance is the ability of a material to store electrical charge.

How does electric current produce heat?

Electric current produces heat through the process of resistance. As current flows through a material, the resistance causes a conversion of electrical energy into heat energy, which can be seen in devices like toasters and light bulbs.

Can electric current be harmful to humans?

Yes, electric current can be harmful to humans. High levels of electric current can cause severe burns and cardiac arrest. It is important to handle electrical devices and outlets with caution and to never touch them with wet hands.

How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using a tool called an ammeter. It is placed in series with the circuit being measured and provides a reading of the amount of current flowing through the circuit in amperes.