Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quickly assaying ignorance in the heat of research

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    Attempting to read an advanced-quantum-theory and other hyper-super-califragamalistics suggests to me: not only is it fruitful to work quickly in physics, but also to assay, quickly, what you don't know, and what resources you need to fix that.

In fact: I'd like to know your perspectives: how do you all quickly assay what you don't know while reading stuff, and just-as-quickly decide what reading/work/etc. you do need to fix that? Like: how to quicken and make more-efficient the realization "Gee, I don't understand such-and-such material", and then quickly come up with "I should read pages such-and-such from my..." "...quantum-super-calafragamalistics For Dummies..." or "...Griffiths..." in order to understand that stuff?

For some reason: this is a process that I inadvertently drag out for days...prolly because I don't like to think I don't know stuff, because I'm afraid I'll be a theoretical physicist living in a cardboard box someday because of it.... :-p

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted