Quickly making ice in ice trays

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary: You're right. It must be 4 trays per person. I think the way it works in a typical family of 4 is that you have 16 ice cube trays, one has one ice cube left, one is still full, the other 14 are either stuck back in the freezer empty, or left on the counter somewhere near the fridge,... and then there's the one in the dishwasher.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ya know... I am getting sick of not having a refrigerator with an automatic ice maker. I hate having to wait like half a day because no one bothers to refill the ice trays. This brings me to my question.

Is there a way to make ice much quicker in those trays? I don't know of any way to produce any larger temperature difference then what the freezer creates... adn that seems like the only way i could more quickly create ice! Save me everyone! I'm melting, meeeelting, oh what a world.

Physics news on Phys.org
LN2? ...

Yah, i wish i had liquid nitrogen sitten around my house... id be screwing everything up.

Just turn the freezer setting to max or min.

Perhaps buy a couple of extra ice trays, and once you remove some ice cubes, refill with water.

Without liquid nitrogen, one simply needs a large metal block (relatively high thermal conductivity) with a large mass which is more or less at equilibrium temperature with the freezer. The idea large cold mass with good thermal conductance will freeze the water quickly.

Now as for the water - put a bottle of water in the refrigerator so as to cool it - get it closer to freezing than room temperature or tap water. Then use that water to refill ice tray.

Before I had an automatic ice maker, I used to just have about 4 ice cube trays instead of just the one that comes with the freezer. This meant I had enough to quickly make ice for parties, but also if someone left one tray with just one ice cube in it, and another was still in the process of freezing, there were still two more trays with ice cubes to use.

Moonbear said:
Before I had an automatic ice maker, I used to just have about 4 ice cube trays instead of just the one that comes with the freezer. This meant I had enough to quickly make ice for parties, but also if someone left one tray with just one ice cube in it, and another was still in the process of freezing, there were still two more trays with ice cubes to use.
You must live alone. Around our house, it takes about 26 trays. That way, you get 18 ice cubes for six people from each of the trays with one ice cube, have one tray in the process of freezing, two trays with homemade popsicles, three ice trays from the person who was so irate at having been stuck with three single cube trays that they left them sitting empty on the counter, a cat drinking water from the filled tray that was accidently left on the stove, plus one tray filled with dirt and seeds for a school project.

These days, we can just leave a bottle or tray of water outside the back door. :biggrin:

When I happen to run out of ice, I don't wait half a day for more to freeze. Takes ten minutes tops to run to the store for a bag.

Get a tank of CO2 and spray the tray. If the dry ice mixes with the water ice, you can carbonate your own drinks. :tongue:
I don't use real ice cube trays. Foam plastic egg cartons work a lot better.

zoobyshoe said:
When I happen to run out of ice, I don't wait half a day for more to freeze. Takes ten minutes tops to run to the store for a bag.

Yah and probablly $10 tops a month to do that :P

We have 4 ice trays and I got to say we're all somewhwat lazy when it comes to refilling the damn trays. I'm the only one who seems to know to put water up until near the brim when refilling it however so whenever someone else makes ice cubes, they are very small compared to the trays i make.

Pengwuino said:
Yah and probablly $10 tops a month to do that :P
No way. I only happen to run out of ice about once a summer.

You ought to buy as many trays as you can possibly stack and make sure they're all filled at least once a day. Those trays hardly cost anything.

The problem is that space is at a premium in our refrigerator because my mother seems to think that 5 years later, those frozen pie crusts may still come in handy.

BobG said:
You must live alone.
:redface: You're right. It must be 4 trays per person. I think the way it works in a typical family of 4 is that you have 16 ice cube trays, one has one ice cube left, one is still full, the other 14 are either stuck back in the freezer empty, or left on the counter somewhere near the fridge, and one of the parents comes along and is annoyed enough by the pile of ice cube trays to fill the 14 plus 1 with one cube in it to maintain a steady ice cube supply. For me, well, I've just learned to like my soda warm. :rolleyes:

We have two freezers between 4 housemates. Unfortunately one is so badly frosted that anything put in there quickly gets consumed by ice and is lost for all time (I'm going to have to hire an arctic excavation team to recover my frozen peas). We lost both our trays to the ice, but on the upside, with a sharp knife and a hammer we have all the ice we need.

I didn't realize so many people used ice trays!

Here on Guam we use them, because the water supply is not clean enough to drink, but in the States I always used an automatic ice maker.

I might have an idea. I have a can of compressed air here...maybe if i just spray it upside down onto the tray portion under an ice cube, it might super accelerate the ice-making-amabob process.

Time to experiment!

haha i remember trying to freeze a fly... didnt work.

Mk said:
Here on Guam we use them, because the water supply is not clean enough to drink, but in the States I always used an automatic ice maker.
What water do you drink, then, and what does anyone use the supplied water for?

Here in the Uk as well as having ice trays we also have fillable bags.
These are disposable polythene bags divided into compartments (about 20 or so) that you fill from the top then tie into a knot.

They don't freeze any quicker but they are a lot less messy than trays.
They can also be tucked into any available space.
I usually hide some where the kids won't look, under the sprouts, that way I can normally find some for my Scotch!

Cybersteve said:
They can also be tucked into any available space.
That sounds like the solution Pengwuino needs. I've never noticed these bags for sale here though.

Heat the water up a little (microwave - not too much!) before putting it in the freezer it will freeze faster!

I forgot to mention the other advantage of ice cube bags over trays.

When frozen you can just tear out as many ice cubes as you need and pop the rest bag in the freezer - much easier than picking cubes out of a tray.

A nice product is Scubes. Simply a plastic bag divided into interconnected cells. Fill at the sink, tie off and stack flat. The "cubes" are a little smaller than standard.

daniel_i_l said:
Heat the water up a little (microwave - not too much!) before putting it in the freezer it will freeze faster!

Exactly why would that happen...

daniel_i_l said:
Penguino said:
Exactly why would that happen...

It is true that under precise circumstances a certain amount of water that starts at a higher temperature will freeze sooner than the same amount of water at a lower temperature, I am very sceptical that it would work in the situation daniel describes.

The situation in which it would work is as follows: take a buck of water at 80 degrees C and another at 90 degrees (equal volumes of water). Splash both buckets over freezing cold surfaces.

The warmer water will evaporate more in the initial seconds, removing significantly more heat. This will reduce the temperature of the remaining water to a temperature below that of the "cooler" water.

But as far as water in ice trays go, if you take room temperature water (20 degrees c) and warm it up to say, 50 degrees C, it will take longer to freeze because it is warmer water. Warmer water takes longer to freeze. I have personally busted this myth in my General Science class.

kleinjahr said:
A nice product is Scubes. Simply a plastic bag divided into interconnected cells. Fill at the sink, tie off and stack flat. The "cubes" are a little smaller than standard.
Isn't this the same thing Cybersteve described?

Chi Meson said:
I have personally busted this myth in my General Science class.
I've seen this notion of warmer water freezing faster taken apart over and over in threads here. It just won't die: people keep telling each other to put warm water in their ice trays.

zoobyshoe said:
I've seen this notion of warmer water freezing faster taken apart over and over in threads here. It just won't die: people keep telling each other to put warm water in their ice trays.

Well, as the water gets colder, then it will take longer and longer to freeze, won't it?

Yes. It's the Zeno's paradox thing. Every 10 minutes or so it's half as warm as it used to be, so it can never reach the freezing point. :uhh:

Pengwuino said:
Ya know... I am getting sick of not having a refrigerator with an automatic ice maker. I hate having to wait like half a day because no one bothers to refill the ice trays. This brings me to my question.
Is there a way to make ice much quicker in those trays? I don't know of any way to produce any larger temperature difference then what the freezer creates... adn that seems like the only way i could more quickly create ice! Save me everyone! I'm melting, meeeelting, oh what a world.
If you hold the bottle you want to cool under running (tap) water, it will cool in no time. Alternatively, wrap a wet towel around it and leave it alone for a while. There! Who needs ice?

EnumaElish said:
If you hold the bottle you want to cool under running (tap) water, it will cool in no time. Alternatively, wrap a wet towel around it and leave it alone for a while. There! Who needs ice?
Oh yeah, the old bike bottle trick. I can't tell you how many times I've explained this to people* during a long bike ride after they ask why my bottle is wrapped in an old, wet, cotton sock.

They don't believe that it works until I squirt them with cold water** after 2 hours in 90 degree weather.

* Turns out some folks really don't want the full explanation; let this be a lesson to all physics geeks: have a 30 second explanation ready for anything.

**a bit smelly though; now I use a new, wet, cotton sock.

Don't know how much of a difference this will make, but try using distilled water instead of tap water. It might make a little bit of a difference since tap water probably needs to be colder to freeze than distilled water because of all the crap in there.

Chi Meson said:
Well, as the water gets colder, then it will take longer and longer to freeze, won't it?
Yes, they'd have to keep reheating it to get it to freeze faster, wouldn't they?

I don't have an ice-maker fridge because they are too wide and I've recently re-modelled my kitchen.

Many people here in the UK have a fridge-freezer where the fridge sits above the freezer.
Why doesn't someone invent a fridge-freezer with an ice maker between the fridge and freezer? In that way it would take up the same floor space but just be slightly taller. I'm sure there'd be a market.

About the hot water freezing, this link: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html" [Broken] seems to say that this effect happens in real life, not just in the lab. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
See my first post in this thread. I have read about this effect before (glad to know it has a name), and my teaching guru, Paul Hewitt, has explained this phenomenon in his taped lectures.

I do believe it can happen, however in a controlled experiment I did using equal amounts of water(220g) in identical containers (cylindrical, open top).

For 6 different initial temperatures ranging from 10 degrees to 80 degrees C, we got a nearly perfect linear relationship: the time to freeze is proportional to inital temerature.

I think it would be useful to try different shapes of containers. I believe if this effect works, you will need a larger open surface area per volume ratio.

I remain sceptical even now that this will work in ice trays.