Quinne-MCClusky simplification

• Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
In summary, the Quinne-Mcclusky algorithm is a method used to simplify logic expressions. It is used to simplify terms that consist of three variables of four. Additionally, the algorithm is useful for simplifying expressions that consist of four variables of four.
electronic engineer
I was asked to simplify this logic expression using Quinne-Mcclusky algorithm:

f=ABC'+ACD'+A'B'D+B'CD+A'C'D

need help!

thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the Quinne-Mcclusky algorithm, specifically? Can you summarize it please? Thanks.

This sounds like a HW problem.. If it is.. there is a place to post
EE homework.. just follow the hyperlink.. Try to delete your duplicate post on this page, just select edit and delete. (you may be able to delete both of them and then you can post under homework questions) If you cannot delete your posts here, just ask an administrator and they will move it..

Regarding your question, there is something else you need to be aware off.. Read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94388.. Before any of us can assist you or anyone, you need to show your work and thoughts on a problem.. When we see that you are trying, we can help steer you in a successful direction..

If this is just a general question that you have been pondering.. You still need to show your thoughts on it first.. Then I would start helping by asking you, What do you know about the Quinn McCluskey method? What sort of applications have you already used or oberved it used on?

edit: You see, I am not the only one who would start you off with a question...:wink:
(also check your spelling of the method before doing a search on the net)

Last edited:
Anyway, I've tried to solve this problem by myself, but unfortunately I've got the same logic expression so I couldn't simplify my logic expression using that method...I was some confused about simplifying such logic ABC'+A'B'D as each term consists of three variables of four , I have no problem with simplifying logic expression such as ABCD'+A'B'CD as each term consists of four variables of four... hope that I could explain my problem... my problem is not with understanding the method in general !

thanks a lot!

Another thing, i want to apologize for the wrong post in wrong section...i'm sorry!

best regards!

1. What is Quinne-McClusky simplification?

Quinne-McClusky simplification is a method used in digital logic design to simplify Boolean expressions. It is an algorithmic approach that reduces a given Boolean expression into its minimal form, using a combination of Boolean algebra and Karnaugh maps.

2. What makes Quinne-McClusky simplification different from other simplification methods?

Quinne-McClusky simplification is unique because it can handle larger and more complex Boolean expressions compared to other methods. It also guarantees the most simplified form of an expression by systematically finding all possible prime implicants and combining them with the essential prime implicants.

3. How does Quinne-McClusky simplification work?

Quinne-McClusky simplification works by first creating a truth table for the given Boolean expression. Then, the table is sorted to group together the minterms that differ by only one bit. The groups are then compared and combined to form prime implicants, and the process is repeated until all prime implicants are found. Finally, the essential prime implicants are identified and combined to get the minimal expression.

4. What are the advantages of using Quinne-McClusky simplification?

The main advantage of using Quinne-McClusky simplification is its ability to handle larger and more complex expressions, making it a more efficient method compared to manual or other automated simplification techniques. It also guarantees the most simplified form of an expression, which is essential in digital logic design.

5. Are there any limitations to using Quinne-McClusky simplification?

One limitation of Quinne-McClusky simplification is that it can become computationally expensive for highly complex expressions. Additionally, the method does not work for expressions with more than six variables, as it becomes increasingly difficult to find all prime implicants. In such cases, other simplification methods may be more suitable.