Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quirky co-workers?

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm lucky that, in general, I work with people who are easy to get along with, fun, and really smart. But, in any crowd there's always that one, isn't there...?

Currently I work with a guy who whistles ALL THE TIME...poorly. I can usually avoid him but not always.

In my previous workplace, the quirky one was the HR manager. She would sit at the back of the room during safety meetings and pop her gum every 4 seconds. And she was a manager!?!

My worst quirky coworker was a guy I worked with several years ago. He had memorized all of Chris Rock's routines and would constantly act them out, every day. This was harder to put up with, since the instruments had to stay in the lab, and I couldn't take my work elsewhere. People would tell him to knock it off, we all know Chris Rock's routines...it was like he couldn't stop himself, and couldn't interact with people any other way. The guy had issues.

Anyone work with quirky coworkers?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2
    AHAHAH chris rock routines. Im sure that goes real well in the work place, n'word this, f'word that, f' f' f', ahhahaha.

4. Jun 10, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I never told you that story about the "cropduster" I had to share an office with? :yuck:

I also had a whistler next door who drove me crazy. I complained and complained and complained. My boss finally went over and talked to him and things got better.

5. Jun 10, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We would always worry what he might say when tour groups came through.

6. Jun 10, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cropduster? Did he have an ordor issue?

7. Jun 10, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it was a digestive problem. Or maybe dietary. Too many beans or something.

8. Jun 10, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So he was an awful whistler too?

9. Jun 10, 2008 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most of the people where I work say they work with a quirky coworker, but I haven't met him yet.

10. Jun 10, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have any quirky coworkers, I'm the quirky coworker. :biggrin:

I've had a few in the past, but I think I've blocked them from my memory, because no specific examples come to mind.

11. Jun 10, 2008 #10

baywax

Gold Member

I had one who dried her pantyhose in the film drier in my Medical Illustration department. It was this metal mesh (not really) support stuff that just reeked up the whole room to high heaven. She was English of course. I never figured out why it smelled so bad in there until I caught her having morning tea waiting to finish dressing and start the day.

I can't say I'm any better. Sometimes I'd type with my nose after a long night of too much fun. kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkhjkkkhhhhhhh

12. Jun 11, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, my coworker brings dead bodies into the office.

13. Jun 11, 2008 #12

HAHAHAH.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  14. Jun 11, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Jun 11, 2008 #14
  16. Jun 11, 2008 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must have a pretty big dimple in your nose. I can't get from k to h without hitting the j.

17. Jun 11, 2008 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

My office at my old job was next door to an office room that was jinxed. All the guys (managers) who worked in that office didn't more than 5 years or so, but one in particular was downright weird.

This weird guy would walk from his office to the computer room which was across the hall from my office, and he would stop in the doorway of my office, sigh, and say "yep, yep, yep, . . . <sigh>" I usually refrained from responding because it would usually invite an inane comment. :rolleyes: He was finally let go, because no one could work with him, and even though he was a manager, someone usually had to direct his work, and that was often me.

18. Jun 11, 2008 #17
    it seems as if we each come bundled with our own slightly different "operating systems," doesn't it? i suppose the trick is to get compatible versions under one roof working together. at least that's what they tell us. occassionally, however, there's a slip up and you get one that's 'special.'

we had one years ago that had a big outside interest in gardening and started a lot of seeds and cuttings indoors, in the office, in their cube. come to think of it, it was actually fun going there and seeing all that green popping up. it was kind of a relaxing change of pace. come to think of it, maybe more offices should apply the concept.

19. Jun 11, 2008 #18

baywax

Gold Member

Ha. You've reminded me of another quirkiness in an associate worker.

I was in the Movie Biz for 6 years and one of my Teamsters always brought his little dog to work. There was no way to part him from it and the Teamsters can be very protective of their own. One day things got very bad because the dog was "going" all over the very expensive stuff I was hauling to a very expensive set (with Sidney Poitier and Tom Beringer). That wasn't the worst of the quirkiness... this professional, highly trained driver of trucks (teamster) also ran out of gas along the way. This was bad because we were renting a whole Freighter to anchor just within camera shot of our set for $10,000 every 6 hours. Arf.

20. Jun 11, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That reminds me of one of the muppets...one of them would say nothing but "yep yep yep"!

Oh, I just remembered a really creepy guy I used to work with! When a "new" woman was around, would follow her while jingling the change in his pocket. As he did this he would sort of...um...well, no other way to put it...grunt. Yuck.

21. Jun 11, 2008 #20
    Jingle Jingle Jingle....HHHHHRUMPHHHHH....................... <shakes head side to side> huh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?